Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Hyundai Sonata ESC button.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Default 2006 Hyundai Sonata ESC button.

Hi all.
I am a "newbie" on this forum and have recently purchased A Sonata Elite V6 2006.
I have a couple of questions to ask and would appreciate your answers.
1. There is chain or tappet rattle on cold start and it lasts for about 3 to 4 seconds.
2. the ESC OFF button does not work and the dealer tells me that it does not work on some models. (so why have the button there?)
3. Should I be running this car on PULP or is normal ULP ok?

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ike008
Hi all.
I am a "newbie" on this forum and have recently purchased A Sonata Elite V6 2006.
I have a couple of questions to ask and would appreciate your answers.
1. There is chain or tappet rattle on cold start and it lasts for about 3 to 4 seconds.
2. the ESC OFF button does not work and the dealer tells me that it does not work on some models. (so why have the button there?)
3. Should I be running this car on PULP or is normal ULP ok?

Thanks.
1. There is a Technical Service Bulletin about the timing chain tensioner being loose and causing that noise (TSB 08-EM-001-1). Take it back to the dealer and have it repaired under warranty.
More info:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9019
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6621

2. Total BS. The dealer is not telling you the truth. I'd find a new dealer.

3. What is PULP and ULP? I'm going to guess it's different octane ratings for gasoline. Your Sonata requires regular 87-octane [US octane rating of (RON+MON)/2] fuel. 87 R+M/2 is the same as 90-RON. That is all your Sonata requires. You will not see any performance or mileage gain spending more money on higher octane fuel.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 AM

Thanks Nova Resource.

I certainly will take the car to the dealer and ask for the timing chain to be checked.
I will also insist that the ESC OFF button be replaced and the problem fixed.
As far as the petrol rating is concerned, ULP is (91 octane unleaded petrol) that's what it is called here in Australia. I will take your advice and use ULP rather than PULP (95 octane premium unleaded petrol).
Thanks once again.

Last edited by Ike008; 10-04-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Welcome to the forums..that link was very helpful, wasn't it.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:33 AM

Hi WheelBroker1.
Yes the information provided is very helpful and I have booked my car in for next Tuesday to be looked at. I am not sure though, that the problems being experienced in the USA are the same or similar in Australia.
Regards

Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Smile re: 2006 Sonata V6 chain tensioners and ESC button

Hi all.
Just an update on the above. The dealer will replace the timing chain tensioners and will also fit a new ESC button. They tell me the button has to come from Korea. The chain tensioner replacement will take about three days.
I will keep you posted with progress.
Another item which I've asked them to look at is the radio glass facia which is "clouded". They say the radio is only warranted for 3 years and is now out of warranty. Can anyone confirm that the radio is only covered with a 3 year warranty?
Regards

Old 10-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, that is correct. The radio is covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/warranty.aspx

America's Best Warranty

10-YEAR / 100,000-MILE POWERTRAIN PROTECTION

Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999

- 2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

5-YEAR / 60,000-MILE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

The following components are covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
  • Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system, and Bluetooth®): 3 years / 36,000 miles
  • Paint: 3 years / 36,000 miles
  • Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
  • Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
  • Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
  • Wear items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)
7-YEAR / UNLIMITED MILES ANTI-PERFORATION WARRANTY

Covers 7 years / unlimited miles starting with 2005 model year (previously 5 years / 100,000 miles for 2004 and prior model years).

Covers perforation (rust hole through the body panel from inside to outside) corrosion of original Hyundai body sheet metal due to defects in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Excludes surface corrosion.

5-YEAR / UNLIMITED MILES 24-HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

Covers vehicle, regardless if current owner is original or subsequent owner.

Includes the following roadside amenities:
  • Towing for inoperable disablements, including accidents
  • Battery jump starts
  • Change flat tire
  • Lock-out
  • Out of gas
  • Trip interruption
Disclaimer: Hyundai Motor America reserves the right to limit services or reimbursement to any owner or driver when, in Hyundai Motor America's judgment, the Claims are excessive in nature, frequency, or type of occurrence.

Hyundai Roadside Assistance Services are provided through Cross Country Motor Club, Inc., Medford, MA 02155, except in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, where services are provided through Cross Country Motor Club of California, Inc., Medford, MA 02155.

Hyundai Motor America makes no guarantee or warranty regarding Cross Country Motor Club, Inc.'s or Cross Country Motor Club of California, Inc.'s service and is not liable for the actions of its employees or subcontractors.

Exclusions: Roadside Assistance is NOT A WARRANTY. For a description of the vehicle warranty covering your Hyundai, see the Hyundai New Vehicle Limited Warranty section of the Owner's Handbook. Roadside Assistance is a limited service, provided to you to help minimize any unforeseen vehicle operation inconvenience.

The Hyundai Roadside Assistance Program does not include reimbursement for any costs/charges for repairs, parts, labor, property loss, or any other expense incurred as a result of accident/collision, vehicle abuse, racing, vandalism, or other items not covered by the Hyundai New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Also excluded are services for snow tires, repair to studs, mounting or demounting of snow chains, and any fines, fees, or taxes associated with impound towing as a result of any actual or alleged violation of any law or regulation.

Off-roading is not covered. To receive service, the vehicle must be accessible from a publicly maintained road.

12-MONTH / 12,000-MILE REPLACEMENT PARTS AND ACCESSORY LIMITED WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of any Hyundai Genuine Replacement Parts or Accessory supplied by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Genuine Hyundai Parts or Accessories supplied by Hyundai and purchased from an authorized Hyundai Dealer, but not installed by an authorized Hyundai Dealer, are covered for 12 months / unlimited miles.

Accessories installed on a vehicle at the time of or prior to the vehicle's date of first use are covered under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Accessories installed after the vehicle's date of first use are covered for 12 months / 12,000 miles.

8-YEAR / 80,000-MILE FEDERAL EMISSION AND PERFORMANCE WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components that cause the vehicle to fail to conform to an applicable EPA-approved inspection/maintenance program:
  • Catalytic Converter
  • Engine Control Module
  • Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBD-II)
Other EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

7-YEAR / 70,000-MILE CALIFORNIA EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEMS WARRANTY

Applies to vehicles manufactured to California specifications, which are distributed by Hyundai Motor America and registered in the states of California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Vermont.

Covers repair or replacement of specific original Hyundai emissions components (specific covered emissions components vary by model).

California Emissions Control Systems Warranty is in addition to Federal Emissions Defect & Performance Warranty.

Other California Emissions Control Systems Warranty emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year / 60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks NovaResource for the comprehensive info on the warranty cover.
Heard from Dealer today who said the chain tensioners have been replaced but will keep the car until Monday to cold start it and see if the chain has stopped rattling.
So hopefuly I should pick it up Monday afternoon the latest.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Smile 2006 Sonata Elite. timing chain rattle & ESC Button

Hi All.

Just an update to let you know that I got my car back today. When I got home I opened the bonnet and found the coolant overflow tank empty. I rang the dealer who said it was not important for the overflow tank to have coolant in it as long as the radiator was full. What a load of BS I thought. Anyway I added some distilled water into the tank.
Tomorrow morning I will start the car and hear for chain rattle. Hopefully it is fixed. I don't really know if they actually replaced the tensioners because I can't see any marks on the timing cover bolts. The only noticeable thing is that they removed and replaced the bonnet and obviously drained the coolant. I asked the dealer if they did drain the oil and they said no it was not necessary. As far as the ESC button and the knocking (shock absorbers?) they say the parts will have to come from Korea. They think it is not the shock absorbers that are knocking but the sway bar mounting rubbers.
I will keep you posted
Regards
Ike

Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 AM

further to the info provided above, the chain rattle is still there on cold start. So I have spoken to the dealer who says they can't do much more to stop the rattle. SO WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
How do I know if they did replace the tensioners?

Quick Reply: 2006 Hyundai Sonata ESC button.