Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Default 2006 Sonata

I've recently started shopping around for a car, and I really like what I see in the newer Sonatas. Just curious if there are any problem areas, aside from stuff mentioned in reviews? For those that have one, how do you like it?
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2006 Sonata

I know there have been people who've had some issues with Sonatas, but I think if you bought one new at the dealer, these issues may have been addressed. I have an Elantra myself, so I can't really comment from personal experience.

The Sonata is a lot of car for the money though.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:27 PM

I bought a used 2006 V6 model recently and so far it seems like a nice car. It's solid and appears to be well built and designed. The best part was the bargain price. I was able to buy a 2006 car with 28000 miles for the same price that a private party was trying to sell me a 2002 Honda Accord 4 cylinder with 44000 miles and no warranty. And I was told that his price for the Accord was a great deal, too. So you can't beat the cost! Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 PM

I own 2 Sonatas and have only had very minute problems with both cars...not even anything wrong of any substance..I love the cars...

WheelBroker1[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 09-23-2007, 12:40 PM

I've had my '06 for just over a year. I've put 21,00 miles on it. No problems. Great, fun car to drive. I feel the Sonata is comparable to Camry or Accord except it costs less. I think I could have gone with the 4 cylinder instead of the v-6, but too late.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 PM

So far I'm loving my 2008. I actually went to get a 2007 but left with a 2008. I too asked every owner I could find and found no ill will from any of them with their purchase. I plan on my next vehicle to be another Hyundai (Veracruz) when the Navigation option is available next year.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 AM

I bought a 2006 GLS LX in July '06 and travel a lot. Currently has 33,000 miles and the only issue has been from a mechanic installing a replacement wiper blade wrong. I keep up the regular maintenance on it and absolutely LOVE it. I also recommend it to others all the time. Great looks, acceleration, comfort and overall quiet. So quiet that at times I have to look at the tach to see if I've already started it. Those few that I've allowed to drive it also comment on how much they like it.

No car is perfect for everyone but this one is for me.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 PM

I've had my 2006 Sonata for almost 2 years, I have 19,000 miles on it and nothing wrong. I test drove alot of cars before this one and none of them in my opinion came close to the Sonata. Trust me, keep up with the normal maintenence just like any other car and you'll be fine.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM

I have had my 06 LX V6 for almost 2 years and have put 42,000 miles on. Things that have been problematic:

1) water in fog lamp (warranteed (sp?) out)
2) 02 sensor causing misfire on injector #6 (warranteed (sp?) out)
3) front driver door handle replaced (warranteed (sp?) out - apparently defective on many of them - the handle refuses to return to the door on its own - just sticks outward)
4) drivers side door switch (controls the windows up/down and sideviews (1 big switch so stupid) waranteed out twice

(have you noticed after a car wash if you roll your window down and then up the ridiculous amount of water on the windshield that dries in a pattern you would only see on the golf course....now i know you're saying of course b/c you went through the car wash it'll be wet but none of my hondas have ever had this much water....i don't think the rubber pieces on the top of the door creates a good enough seal to "dry" the window upon rollup).../end rant

5) now I think my tempature gauge is messed up (the one that tells you outside temperature)

so would i buy this car again.....no...i love it but ...

the heated seats should have low/high - the sideview mirrors should bend in (have you noticed the tremendous blind spot they cause since they are connected directly to the door like a big rectangle...no other car does this...there is always space and between the mirrors and the door itself...the mirror is sort of curved to meet the door at the bottom near the window area - there should be radio controls on the steering wheel -oh and i get 22 mpg and do 90% highway driving at 80 mph.

for the $ and the extended warranty 10/100,000 bumper to bumper (seriously needed) you really can't be it though if you drive 24k miles a year like i do.....