Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2006 transmisson

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Default 2006 transmisson

I have a 2006 hyundia sonata going down the highway the other day had cruise control on and all the sudden the car sounded like it down shifted after that I can start my car in 1st gear but now it shifts hard and won't shift back down to first or shift into 4th trying to figure out what to do I can't pay for new transmisson air compresser went out not to long ago and still have not got it fix any ideas besides replacing tran I need a car I have three girls and I'm a server and just don't know what to do about it

Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Did the check engine light come on when it happened? The reason I ask is the same thing happened to me with my '06 Sonata about 6 months after I bought it new. The problem turned out to be a sensor in the transmission, not the transmission itself. The repair was done under warranty so it didn't cost me a dime, but if I remember correctly the service manager told me it would have been a $300-400 fix if I had to pay for it. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a new tranny. If the CEL is on, have the code read and take it from there.

By the way, since the repair I've put a LOT of miles on the car with no further problems. Tomorrow I'll hit 240,000 miles!