Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Hyundai Sonata lug nut stud replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Default 2011 Hyundai Sonata lug nut stud replacement

I was trying to save a little money and tried to do my own brakes. I ended up shearing one of the lug nut studs off with a 4 sided lug nut wrench. I ended up taking it to a local mechanic who originally quoted me 1 hour and parts cost that came to around $100, but now he ended up charging me $335 to pull the hub, replace the bearing and the studs because he said mind as well replace the other one that was having an issue going back on. I called a dealership and the mechanic said they had issues putting the studs in because of the size of the hub, so I ended up costing myself some $$ doing my own brakes. Does this sound right? If so I wanted to post this so someone else doesnt feel like they are getting taken advantage of or if not maybe someone else doesnt get screwed.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:31 PM

If the local mechanic quoted $100 then you should have only paid $100
If there was another procedure that needed to be done
then he should have called you first to okay that procedure which cost so much more
The mechanic should not have changed procedures or done anything without you okaying it
Next time record everything that is said between you and the mechanic
It will help to prove your point.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Default Thanks for the reply

I really appreciate your reply, but I think I left a few things out in the first post. The mechanic called me to okay the repair and after looking at the below videos before i took the car in I told him to go ahead and do it. He wasnt trying to charge me without getting my okay first. I couldnt get much from the second video and the first video was for a rear tire, which I forgot to mention my car was the passenger front tire. The first video was awesome, but after doing a little research and talking to some people they said that the rear tire was a whole lot easier. Although, I still feel like their might be something off. Is their anyone out there that has had to replace the stud after shearing off one of the front lug nuts? Maybe a better video if someone can find it. Thank you so much for any replies! I just wanted to repay some of the help Ive received already from some of the youtube videos or threads.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 PM

I am a very novice home mechanic, so what might seem like a good tutorial to some needs to be broken down barney style to me in the videos. At least until I get a little more experience under my belt.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 PM

The videos were just to show what is involved in such a job
And what else can be done.
I wish you luck in your endeavors

Old 07-14-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mikeb2662
I was trying to save a little money and tried to do my own brakes. I ended up shearing one of the lug nut studs off with a 4 sided lug nut wrench. I ended up taking it to a local mechanic who originally quoted me 1 hour and parts cost that came to around $100, but now he ended up charging me $335 to pull the hub, replace the bearing and the studs because he said mind as well replace the other one that was having an issue going back on. I called a dealership and the mechanic said they had issues putting the studs in because of the size of the hub, so I ended up costing myself some $$ doing my own brakes. Does this sound right? If so I wanted to post this so someone else doesnt feel like they are getting taken advantage of or if not maybe someone else doesnt get screwed.
oh man I'm having the same problem now and I broke 4 studs I only have one left and I'm trying to replace the stud its blocking against the hub