Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Bluetooth telepnone operation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Default 2011 Sonata Bluetooth telepnone operation

Hi,
We just bought a new 2011 Sonata Limited. I am surprised that the Bluetooth phone commands are not better designed. The dealership cannot answer this problem. I want to know if this is the way it was designed or is there anyone out there who can tell me if their Bluetooth operation is the same or different.

Here is what is happening: I want to place a call via voice control. I push the button on the steering wheel and say "Call name Louise." The car answers "Please say the name." I say "Louise." The car answers "Do you want to call Louise on her home phone or cell phone?" I say "Cell phone." Then it dials. Note that this took 3-steps to place the call. If I try to reduce the steps and say "Call name Louise cell phone" the car says "Please say the name" and we are back to where we started.

This seems foolish to me in an era where with my $50 Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece I can just say "Call Louise cell phone" and it dials (in 1 step). Does anyone have any suggestions or is this just the way the Sonata software works? Thanks. - Mike

Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MLynch
Hi,
We just bought a new 2011 Sonata Limited. I am surprised that the Bluetooth phone commands are not better designed. The dealership cannot answer this problem. I want to know if this is the way it was designed or is there anyone out there who can tell me if their Bluetooth operation is the same or different.

Here is what is happening: I want to place a call via voice control. I push the button on the steering wheel and say "Call name Louise." The car answers "Please say the name." I say "Louise." The car answers "Do you want to call Louise on her home phone or cell phone?" I say "Cell phone." Then it dials. Note that this took 3-steps to place the call. If I try to reduce the steps and say "Call name Louise cell phone" the car says "Please say the name" and we are back to where we started.

This seems foolish to me in an era where with my $50 Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece I can just say "Call Louise cell phone" and it dials (in 1 step). Does anyone have any suggestions or is this just the way the Sonata software works? Thanks. - Mike
Add "Louise (last Name)" into your phone book. Unpair, then repair your phone. You will then have to say "Call (Last Name) Louise on cell phone"

Hope this helps!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the tip, however, I tried it and it made no difference. Still 3 steps to make a call.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
mbm

Are you pushing the MIDDLE button perhaps? The top one is the one you want (the one that looks like a guy picking his nose).

Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM

To MBM...

Thanks for the response. I am pushing the top button. If I did not push the top button on the steering wheel the voice activation would not come on at all.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
mbm

Interesting, pushing the middle button activates voice recognition for me.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM

MBM,

Yours works differently from mine. My top button activates voice activation. The middle button answers a call and switches between callers on call waiting. The bottom button hangs up the call.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
mbm

Hit the middle button to dial, it then asks dial by name or number.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM

To mbm,

Again, thanks for your help.

What model and year of vehicle do you have?

When I push either the middle or bottom button first, it does nothing. If I hold them in for 2 seconds, I hear a beep but it does nothing.

If I press the top button first, the voice activation comes on and says, "Please say a command". This also appears at the bottom of the navigation screen. Then if I press either the middle or bottom button without saying anything "Cancel" appears at the bottom of the navigation screen and the voice activation is cancelled.

- Mike

Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 AM
mbm

Hi, I have a 2011 Limited. No nav, maybe that's why it's different?

Originally Posted by MLynch
To mbm,

Again, thanks for your help.

What model and year of vehicle do you have?

When I push either the middle or bottom button first, it does nothing. If I hold them in for 2 seconds, I hear a beep but it does nothing.

If I press the top button first, the voice activation comes on and says, "Please say a command". This also appears at the bottom of the navigation screen. Then if I press either the middle or bottom button without saying anything "Cancel" appears at the bottom of the navigation screen and the voice activation is cancelled.

- Mike

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata Bluetooth telepnone operation