Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Limited-Push start button malfunction

Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Angry 2011 Sonata Limited-Push start button malfunction

I purchased my 2011 Sonata Limited about 4 months ago. In the past 2 months I have had 3 episodes when I go to cut the car off. When I put the car in park and push the Off button, the motor will go off but the radio/nav.system remains on. A display will show that reads " Shift to P" and the small car icon shows the smart key is still in the car. If I continue to exit the car I get a long beeping noise. It will not let me lock the car when this happens. I have to get back in, restart the car, put into gear and try to turn it off again. The first time it happened, I had to do all of the above one time and it shut off properly. Today when it happened, I had to do all of the above 3 times before the car would properly shut down. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have an appt. Friday at the dealership to have this checked out.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Default What did the dealer say ?

Originally Posted by UGAgirlyGirl74
I purchased my 2011 Sonata Limited about 4 months ago. In the past 2 months I have had 3 episodes when I go to cut the car off. When I put the car in park and push the Off button, the motor will go off but the radio/nav.system remains on. A display will show that reads " Shift to P" and the small car icon shows the smart key is still in the car. If I continue to exit the car I get a long beeping noise. It will not let me lock the car when this happens. I have to get back in, restart the car, put into gear and try to turn it off again. The first time it happened, I had to do all of the above one time and it shut off properly. Today when it happened, I had to do all of the above 3 times before the car would properly shut down. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have an appt. Friday at the dealership to have this checked out.
Have you consulted the dealer for this issue ? If yes, what did they say?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 AM

The last line of her post says that she has an appointment Friday (today) at the dealership so maybe she will report back the results of her visit.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Just received a call from the dealership and they have to replace my shifter. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

That sounds logical. On a car with a "regular" key ignition, the shifter needs to be in park to remove the key. So my guess is, the push-button system also needs to know the shifter is in park to fully shut off. So if the shifter is bad or out of adjustment, the system doesn't know if the shifter is in park or not.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Shift body been revised, there is a pin that move up/down in slot with button push to release shifter, and the slide /pin not fully rise to actuate a micro switch on side of shifter frame.. they was initially having you take blade in cut the slot of excess plastic flash, but now there is new shifter assembly (need to verify date on shifter body to be sure you gots new style.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Also had this issue recently. First time it was similar to what UGAgirlygirl74 described - engine shut off, but nothing else would shut off. After that it was only when trying to start, and happening more frequently to the point where I couldn't trust it to start. Everything would turn on but the engine, the immobilizer icon would flash on, the brake would lock up, and the display would say either "Push Brake Pedal To Start Engine", which was impossible with the brake locked, or "Shift to Park", which it was already in. I'd usually just take a walk for five minutes, go back and try again, and after a couple times it would start. The dealer also determined it was an issue with the shifter and needed replacement.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM

I have the same exact issue going on with my 2011 Hyundai Sonata - only mine is the SE 2.0T. Put it in park, engine shuts down (but not electronics) and it says "Put in Park" and has a little key logo display. I have to start and reverse or forward a couple times before it will shutdown completely. The problem is intermittent also, sometimes it happens, sometimes not. I have an appointment for service tomorrow morning.

Sucks - I just bought this car last Sunday!!

UGAgirl - can you please update the outcome from your service visit?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by pinto4598
I have the same exact issue going on with my 2011 Hyundai Sonata - only mine is the SE 2.0T. Put it in park, engine shuts down (but not electronics) and it says "Put in Park" and has a little key logo display. I have to start and reverse or forward a couple times before it will shutdown completely. The problem is intermittent also, sometimes it happens, sometimes not. I have an appointment for service tomorrow morning.

Sucks - I just bought this car last Sunday!!

UGAgirl - can you please update the outcome from your service visit?
They replaced the shifter in my car and I haven't had the problem anymore.