Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2011 Sonata Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Default 2011 Sonata Transmission Failure

Hi, I am new to the board. Last week I purchased a new 2011 Limited Turbo Sonata with an automatic transmission. The transmission failed with less than 40 miles on the car. Needless to say I am less than happy. Hyundai Corporate has authorized the dealer to replace the transmission with a new one. The dealer claims that these cars are very reliable and that they have not seen this before. Does anyone have information on transmission problems with these cars, or where I may find such info? Thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yours is the first I've heard of. I wouldn't worry about the replacement.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Hi, I'm new to the board also, but wanted to reply after reading your post. I purchased a new 2011 sonata Limited a couple of weeks ago. Less than 24 hours after purchasing, the check engine light came on. The dealer reset it, saying it was a "history code". We went to the mall and when we came out, the light was back on again. Again they reset the code, but this time it was a PO741 code "torque converter clutch circuit performance stuck off". The dealer said they would contact Hyundai and see what to do. The next day the light was on again and the dealer said the car would need a transmission replacement. So, today the dealer picked up the car at my work and gave me a rental. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least. We also purchased a new nissan rogue a couple of months ago and have had zero issues with that car. Prior to that I owned a 2007 Altima with 130k miles on it and did nothing but oil changes and a couple of air filters and not one single problem. I really like the Hyundai Sonata, but I'm a little worried at this point. I also had an issue with the bluetooth echoing on the caller's end, so they are looking at that also.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM

I took my car to the dealer on the 10th. The new trans was ordered on the 11th and arrived today, the 17th. I will probably not see the car until next week. I will be highly upset if it is not perfect from here on out. I suggest you try to negotiate something from Hyundai. Send me an email. I think you can pick it off this site.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 PM

It's not the entire transmission that is failing, but a small part inside of it. Most problems I have read about are solenoid failures. As of now, Hyundai is not allowing any dealer to open up the transmission under warranty work; they replace the next higher assembly which is the entire transmission.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by USAFTankDiver
It's not the entire transmission that is failing, but a small part inside of it. Most problems I have read about are solenoid failures. As of now, Hyundai is not allowing any dealer to open up the transmission under warranty work; they replace the next higher assembly which is the entire transmission.
My car started making a noise when the transmission was either under a load while accelerating or while decelerating. A vibration accompanied the noise. The vibration could be felt in the steering wheel as well as in the floor. The Noise and vibration increased as more miles were put on the car. It only had 38 total miles on it when I got it back to the dealer. I would be surprised if it was a solenoid failure. The dealer has had the car since Feb 10th. They got the new transmission on Feb 17th late in the day. They called today to say that the new trans is finally in the car, but that they had run out of trans fluid when they were filling it. They have to get more fluid tomorrow and say I can expect to get the car back tomorrow. How's that for World Class service? I don't think Lexus has much to worry about!!

Old 03-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Default doug

Originally Posted by kevinhwvu
Hi, I'm new to the board also, but wanted to reply after reading your post. I purchased a new 2011 sonata Limited a couple of weeks ago. Less than 24 hours after purchasing, the check engine light came on. The dealer reset it, saying it was a "history code". We went to the mall and when we came out, the light was back on again. Again they reset the code, but this time it was a PO741 code "torque converter clutch circuit performance stuck off". The dealer said they would contact Hyundai and see what to do. The next day the light was on again and the dealer said the car would need a transmission replacement. So, today the dealer picked up the car at my work and gave me a rental. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least. We also purchased a new nissan rogue a couple of months ago and have had zero issues with that car. Prior to that I owned a 2007 Altima with 130k miles on it and did nothing but oil changes and a couple of air filters and not one single problem. I really like the Hyundai Sonata, but I'm a little worried at this point. I also had an issue with the bluetooth echoing on the caller's end, so they are looking at that also.
I have a 2007 Sonata with 30K on it with no problems! I use to have a 1999 Nissan maxima that had the check engine light come on every year and the dealer would charge me $200 dollars to turn it off. After 8 years I got rid of it!
I think you just got a bad one.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 56Nomad
How's that for World Class service? I don't think Lexus has much to worry about!!
I don't know about that. Toyota/Lexus still hasn't even figured out how to put floor mats and carpet in a car without having it interfere with the accelerator pedal. This is the second round of recalls for this problem and for some of the affected vehicles the second attempt to try to sort it out.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 PM

There is a "fix" out for that transmission problem. It is TSB#: 10-AT-003-2. I had it complied with on my Sonata after the transmission "bumped" from 6th to 4th gear with high RPMs. The work was completed in one day, although the dealer wanted the car the day before so he could proceed with a cold engine the next morning. There was no noticeable change in the transmission performance after compliance. But then, the transmission worked well before and after the incidents. I don't know it the TSB is perferable to replacing the engine or not. I wonder if there was any damage when the car jumped gears the way it did. Since I only have 6000 miles on the car, I still have 94000 miles to decide.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Default Transmission Failure 2011 Sonata

My transmission failed yesterday on my 10 month old Sonata. They said it was the selunoid (sp?) and that is can't be replaced and the only way to replace it was to put in a new transmission. I have never owned a Hyundai before and I'm really nervous that I made a big mistake. Have you had any other issues since yours was replaced?

Quick Reply: 2011 Sonata Transmission Failure