Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

2012 Sonata Hybrid Issues

Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Default 2012 Sonata Hybrid Issues

Bought it on April 24th, took it to service the next week and its still there

Didnt notice on any test drive, but starting to drive everyday, notice the stumbling, hesitation etc at low speed acceleration.

Its not bad, but quite noticeable and definitely not acceptable.

First thing they did was "reset the hybrid system". It worked initially, but next morning test drive, issue returned.
Tech called the Hyundai Tech Line and was advised to reset the system at different operating temps. He reset it again cold, then took the car to operating temp, then reset again, then was supposed to reset again at cold again. If this doesnt work, the next step is the tranny, which was my thought actually, but apparently the tech was on the same page.
Service writer actually walked me to the service dept and had me talk to the tech himself. I was quite happy with how its being handled. I know its not their fault, but its frustrating to say the least.

My biggest concern is whether or not Hyundai acknowledges it as a problem and can actually fix it. And if they cant fix it, what next?
We had only put 200 miles on the car and now they've had it longer than I have

I've had awesome results from dealing with the dealer in the past so my hopes remain high, but only time will tell.

Sad thing is, the 2012 Hybrid loaner they gave me does the exact same thing, even worse when I first got it.

I've read some older threads about this problem, but wouldnt have expected the newer ones to display the same issues.

I'll update as I hear more if you're interested.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Update -

Resets didnt work.
Hyundai tech line requested they replace the following part:

engine clutch fluid pressure sensor

Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Friday, they said the car was fixed so I picked it up.
Was hesitating right out of the parking lot.

As I mentioned earlier though, the loaner was worse.
I've contacted them today to advise and that I want to keep it for a few weeks to see how it changes if at all.
This car is supposed to "learn" your driving habits so I'm curious how this issue changes over the next few weeks.

I still think its transmission related, but just a hunch. Feels like it cant make up its mind what gear it wants to be in ...

Time will tell....

Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Car is still doing the same thing.

Drove a 2013 Hybrid for the fun of it today and would you imagine, the car drove perfectly. Very smooth, couldn't even feel the switch over from EV to gas.

We'll probably be taking it back again this week

Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM

Hard to tell if anyone is actually interested in my comments, lots of reads and no comments but I'll update anyway.

Had the Service Manager drive the car with me in it, he experienced the problem several times.
We kept the car at this point as he was going to email his area Engineer which is visiting on June 19th.
However, this past Saturday, the issue got worse with the car running rough and MPG declining for no apparently reason.
Yesterday morning, even worse, the car was idling rough then would not accelerate over about 40mph at all. Turn the blue drive off and voila, its smooth. Repeated this adventure at the next red light, same thing.
On the way to the dealership, running rough again, would not downshift and accelerate at all.
The car is now back at service.....

WE DONT EVEN HAVE 1000 MILES ON IT YET..........

Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Another week has gone by and nothing.
I've emailed the Service Manager, Sales Manager and Service Writer my issues, complaints etc.
After a week, I've received no update at all. I get a text back today from the Writer that the Manager is supposed to talk to the Engineer today and call me with an update, they think its software related.

My .02... nobody knows what it is, but I guess we'll see...

Old 08-25-2023, 04:03 PM
Default Similar issues

Originally Posted by KillerInsideMe
Hard to tell if anyone is actually interested in my comments, lots of reads and no comments but I'll update anyway.

Had the Service Manager drive the car with me in it, he experienced the problem several times.
We kept the car at this point as he was going to email his area Engineer which is visiting on June 19th.
However, this past Saturday, the issue got worse with the car running rough and MPG declining for no apparently reason.
Yesterday morning, even worse, the car was idling rough then would not accelerate over about 40mph at all. Turn the blue drive off and voila, its smooth. Repeated this adventure at the next red light, same thing.
On the way to the dealership, running rough again, would not downshift and accelerate at all.
The car is now back at service.....

WE DONT EVEN HAVE 1000 MILES ON IT YET..........
Good evening, I have a 2012 sonata hybrid as well with similar issues. I can be driving and suddenly it will not accelerate, instead when I press the gas it boggs down like the fuel filter is clogged or something. I have already replaced the transmission and has been back to the dealership 4 times since. One time they said it needed plugs and some coil packs. The very.next morning it did the same things on the expressway on my way to work. I was driving about 70mph and suddenly it started slowing down, I naturally press the gas pedal and it got even slower. I had it towed back to the dealership and they said it had bad gas in it. This has been going on for months now, and strangely enough, I have noticed that when it happens, I can turn the car off and wait a few seconds and turn it back on, and it does better. I am frustrated and honestly don't trust the dealership so not sure what my next step is.
I appreciate your post.

Thanks
Keven

Old 08-26-2023, 06:15 AM

Hi Keven,
Maybe a little background will help.
When you turn off the engine , some of the parameters in memory will reset and temporarily the problem is gone , until,the conditions come up again and it appears and the system goes into limp mode to protect from possible further damage.. A dealership should have a capable scan tool with "Freeze Frame" capability . What this makes available to the tech is the conditions at the time the problem appeared . A thorough examination of those conditions serves 2 purposes. The first is what system is malfunctioning and the other purpose is to create those conditions after repair to verify the problem has been corrected.
Not knowing all the circumstances of this problem , we can only speculate and most times that is not worth much. At least you have some idea of what questions to ask the tech at the dealership.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:11 AM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by hanky
Hi Keven,
Maybe a little background will help.
When you turn off the engine , some of the parameters in memory will reset and temporarily the problem is gone , until,the conditions come up again and it appears and the system goes into limp mode to protect from possible further damage.. A dealership should have a capable scan tool with "Freeze Frame" capability . What this makes available to the tech is the conditions at the time the problem appeared . A thorough examination of those conditions serves 2 purposes. The first is what system is malfunctioning and the other purpose is to create those conditions after repair to verify the problem has been corrected.
Not knowing all the circumstances of this problem , we can only speculate and most times that is not worth much. At least you have some idea of what questions to ask the tech at the dealership.

Hanky,
Thanks, I have an appointment at a different dealership on Sept. 8th. I have been trying to get an appointment, but all dealerships are booked for months, we made this appointment a couple of month ago. I will be sure to tell the service guy all of the previous issues and time frames and hopefully he will be able to find it in the vehicles history.

Thanks again,
Keven

Old 08-26-2023, 12:00 PM

If you can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you normally would explain the problem to a service advisor who MIGHT state that info to the assigned tech.
If you can ,, try to speak with the tech personally , because small details are important and can many times help a tech get a better look at the problem.