Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

99 Sonata Question - Fix or Part out

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Default 99 Sonata Question - Fix or Part out

I have a 99 Sonata with 87k on it. The interior, exterior, engine, suspension, tires, and pretty much everything is in really good condition. The only thing is that it has no tranny at all. My buddy gave it to me because it sat in his driveway for 6 months and now hes sick of it.

Im not sure why it doesnt have a tranny, but my good friend assured me that everything else is fine, and I have no reason to think otherwise. Would this project be more worthwhile to find a tranny to put into it, or part it out, or sell it whole?

The car is getting towed to my place in a week or so, and I will have much more information about it then than I have now. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Personally, I'd install (or have installed) a new trans and sell it for a small profit.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Personally, I'd install (or have installed) a new trans and sell it for a small profit.
I have no problem taking a tranny out of one at the junkyard and putting it in my own, since I've done several clutch replacements, engine pulls, the works. I just dont have the specific part knowledge of Hyundai's.

I will obviously have to do more research to find one that will be compatible and a bolt in. What year range/ model range is equivalent to a 99 Auto Sonata? I figure that would be a good place to start.

My other car is a 3000GT, and its worth more in parts rather than a whole car, Sadly enough. But that is because there is considerably fewer 3S's than most other cars, and I am new to the Hyundai scene, so just getting a feel for what would be the most efficient way of going about this free car.

Thanks again.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Nothing?

The Sonatas on craigslist around here are going for 2500 for a clean 2000 GLS with 97k. Doesnt look like I would be able to get much for it, so Im not looking to spend much on the tranny. Advance has one rebuilt with a warranty for around 2 grand, but thats as much as the car is worth (Or so it seems).

Trannys at junkyards are hit and miss. Is there any interest in a part out?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM

no trans at all? whats holding up the motor? where are the axles? you mean trans-axle, right? did he take out the trans with the intent to fix it? did he than loose it?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM

There was no transmission in the car to begin with. The half shafts were wired up with chicken wire to keep them off the ground, and the engine is held up by the other motor mounts. The transmission shop took the transaxle out to rebuild it, but the owner decided it was too much money to spend on this car. They threw the tranny in the trunk, and lost the torque converter in the process.

I just got a matching transmission from a Sonata at the junkyard, and got a rebuilt torque converter. According to the Chilton manual, I install the torque converter after installing the transaxle?

Is there any other guides for doing a transmission replacement? The bolts are all in a big ziplock bag, and since I didnt take it out, I am having a tough time figuring out where everything goes.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

Your just going to have to "trial and error" to get the bolts back in. They probably didn't give you everything you need, either.

Torque converter goes in the bell housing, so I don't know how to install it after installing the trans.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jsinton
Your just going to have to "trial and error" to get the bolts back in. They probably didn't give you everything you need, either.

Torque converter goes in the bell housing, so I don't know how to install it after installing the trans.
Ok, so Im not the only one that sees the flaw in that order. Did you see the other post I made that has more info?

I planned on having to make a few trips to Lowes to match up bolts and get extras. Everything is so rusted under it from sitting for 4 years, that I have to use an impact and PB blaster on everything, then clean the threads with a wire wheel.

If this doesnt work out, then I am planning on parting it out (If the interest is good enough on the forums) or just giving it to the junkyard for the return of investment.

Anyone on here needing any parts of a 98?