Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Alarm(ing) Problems? - 04 Sonata V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Default Alarm(ing) Problems? - 04 Sonata V6

New owner, 1st time poster. (I searched but could not find.)

I bought my barely used 04 Sonata V6 with 43k miles just 3 months ago. It now has 47k miles and I am loving it.

But, of course, I am here asking this because there have been a few problems. I think they all involve the alarm system (or computer) in some way.

1. About a month after buying the car I was going up a slight incline at 55 MPH. I have a steady foot and usually just let the car decelerate up the hill and then catch up after cresting the hill. As she started to slow down a bit it seemed to shifted into a lower gear and roared for a second then went back into 4th. The same thing happened again the next day but has not happened again since. Is this just a sign that I need a tranny flush and filter?

2. I was a bit low on gas but decided to make it to my favorite station on the freeway. I put it on cruise at 60 MPH. After a couple of miles the engine shut off, all idiot lights on, no power steering or brakes. I coasted to the side of the road and stopped. I cranked it over and it started immediately and I drove on to a station. There was still 1 gallon in the tank when I filled up.

3. Yesterday, we went to the store and when we came out it would not crank over. Doors and trunk unlocked okay, all dash lights OK, windows up and down. Just no cranking at all. I tried everything I could think of to reset it and called a mechanic friend and the dealer for ideas. Hyundai even suggested we jump it but that had no effect. Nothing we tried would get it to crank so I called Roadside Assistance and they took it to the dealer. I was off to my night job so the wife went with the car. She said that when she got there, a mechanic came out, fumbled around under the left side of the dash and then started the car and drove it off the carrier. (Yes, I am gonna ask on Monday, "What the heck did he do?")

Happy days, though. The warranty is valid and they even paid for a rental car.

The wife did not relay the first two items to the dealer and they are closed for the weekend. I plan on letting them know about them on Monday.

My overall question is ... are these signs of a trend? Is something major going wrong that I need to have fixed? Should I have the alarm system removed?

Any help is greatly appreciated and will be richly rewarded with e-points :- )

Thank You,
Steve

Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Default RE: Alarm(ing) Problems? - 04 Sonata V6

Followup ...

Good news: the dealer, Auffenburg in Fairview Heights, IL, replaced two relays. Everything was covered 100%, towing, 4 day car rental, all service and parts. Didn't cost me a dime.

That surprised me because I'm the second owner and the warranty book specifically states that roadside assistance only applies to the first owner. But I think the 1st owner purchased some kind of extra coverage.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Alarm(ing) Problems? - 04 Sonata V6

Sweet! Glad to hear everything worked out. More proof Hyundais warranty is excellent.