Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

brake light bulb keeps burning out

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Default brake light bulb keeps burning out

I have an 06 sonata.

The middle window brake light works fine. But the other 2 dont

Everytime I try to replace a bulb it doesn't work, and it ends up leaving a little black burnt mark inside the bulb. The bulb works, its just the brake part of the bulb that burns out.

Any suggestions as to what's going on?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM

I have had to replace both rear brake bulbs, one foglight bulb, and both headlight bulbs, and the car had less than 45k miles. I replaced them all with Bosch bulbs, and have been okay.

Do you have anything connected to the brake circuit?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 PM

i have a 2007 Sonata that I have had for about 2 years now and every time i turn around, i am replacing a bulb somewhere.... headlights, tail lights, fog lights.... i have lost count of how many bulbs i have replaced.....

in doing a little research on the net, it appears that this is NOT a new issue for hyundai ..... has anyone else had this problem and had it resolved by Hyundai?? what was the cause?? what did they do??

Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by latetotheparty
... every time i turn around, i am replacing a bulb somewhere ... in doing a little research on the net, it appears that this is NOT a new issue for hyundai...
That's news to me. In the nearly 8 years of combined ownership of 3 Hyundai/Kia vehicles I've had to replace two tail light bulbs (one on the Tucson and one on the Sedona) and one fog light bulb (on the Sedona). I never had to replace a bulb on the Tiburon in the 3.5 years I owned it.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 PM

prior to the sonata, i had a 2005 Optima that I replaced several bulbs for as well......

i googled burnt bulbs hyundai or something similar and found several links.... including this page..... some suggested that the voltage regulator may be malfunctioning.....

Old 07-12-2010, 03:55 PM

If you suspect the charging system is overcharging, take the car in & have it tested. Auto parts places like AutoZone will test the charging system for free.

There are some bulbs that are labeled "LL" after the part number. These are 'Long Life' bulbs & do last longer than your average bulb. If it's a quartz bulb (or halogen), wipe the glass portion of the bulb with a little rubbing alcohol & a clean paper towel, and do not touch the glass with your fingers after cleaning it. The oil on your fingers will cause 'hot spots' in the bulb & early failure.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Default Answer

Took my car to a dealership two days ago regarding the tail lights to see what was going on. So I'm the second owner, less than a year on a 2017 HYUNDAI Elantra with 69,000 miles. In less than a month changed the bulbs twice. Noticed sockets were getting crispier and crispier. The last bulbs even turned blackish. Thought that the sockets were the problem. Get back to the dealership and they tell me it's not the sockets, it's the harnesses and one of them melted creating a short in one and the other not to work. They say it's not covered under warranty. I tried to convince them that it's beyond factory defect or a warranty issue, it's 100% a safety issue. If I haven't of taken it in now, would the sheathing have melted all the way then starting an electrical fire in turn making it to a recall list which would have permitted me to get the harnesses replaced with out hassle instead of sueing for another car. Let see what happens.