Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

a/c out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Default a/c out!!!

i've got an 02 sonata with the 6 cylinder motor.my a/c crapped out yesterday and i dont have the $$ to have it fixed.the pump is very noisy and i'm afraid it may lock up.my question is this-can i take the serp belt off and replace it with a belt for a non a/c car to get me by for now?thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM

i lucked out!!it works!!it will get me by until i can get the ac fixed right

Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 PM

Sounds like you're playing Russian Roulette and loaded all six. If it is the compressor knocking and it locks up the belt will be fried in a few minutes so if you hear the belt squeal immediately get off ther road in a safe place and shut it down. My guess is that same belt drives the water pump and water pump doesn't turn the engine overheats can cause blown head gasket and cracked head and that can get big time expensive. If you don't have funds to have it repaired at least have the problem analyzed so you will know exactly what is wrong. Will driving it compound the problem and cost you more bucks?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

All he did was install a non-A/C belt on a car with A/C and bypassed the A/C compressor. There's no problem with doing that.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM

yup...been driving it and it work great...sucks with no a/c but at least the car can be used.