Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Engine Cradle Rusting out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Default RE: Engine Cradle Rusting out!

I have a 2000 Sonata V-6. Just brought my car in for severe rusting of the engine cradle. Rust is on the passenger side rear of cradle. Engine is ready to fall out of the car. The service manager laughed and said its your problem. The body of the car is in mint condition no rust or blistering paint. This is clearly a design flaw.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2101/DEEEAE8D1F7E4D83A802C065529F13DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2006, 11:39 PM

contact HMA or HAC, depending were you are.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:34 PM

I just moved to Texas from Ohio in July. The alignment had been going out for several weeks before I finally took it in for a check at a non-dealership service center. The manager told me, "There's something under your car that we've never seen in Texas." The engine cradle rusted through on the passenger side and was pulling the wheel out of alignment. It was one good jolt away from breaking in two. It's now at a dealer for review, and I'm awaiting an estimate (and researching new cars). What upsets me is that I had taken the car to Hatfield Hyundai in Columbus, Ohio in March and May for other repairs without hearing about the rust issue. Given the degree of rust, it's difficult to believe it rusted nearly through between May and September. Good luck to others with this issue!

DReimer
San Antonio, TX

Old 10-01-2006, 07:45 PM

in Canada, this would have been replaced without hassle, and under warranty.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 PM

I live on the east coast and Hyundai just replaced mine at no charge. This is a problem for cars used in snow belts.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:59 PM

I have a 1998 Sonata V6 107,00km - the engine cradle has completely rusted out behind passenger side control arm connection point - unsafe to drive and must be replaced for big $$ - told by dealer that it is a very rare occurance but it looks like from the postings here that this happens a lot - design fault/saftey recall - Hyundai should step up and set the owners straight!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:09 PM

I also have a 2000 Sonata, the engine craddle rusted completely and the front left wheel came off. I,m in the Cincinnati area. A friend had the same problem and his daughter had an accident. Hyundai, says this is my problem. I think it is a manufacturing deffect - and one that could and probably has cost some lifes.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:47 AM

I am seriously considering purchase of a new 2008 Sonata Limited; but am distressed to see / read this kind of experience with rusting / warranty. Has anyone else experienced rusting problems which have NOT been happily, quickly and successfully resolved by the dealer/Hyundai/warranty????

Thanks very much for your responses!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: checkingitout

I am seriously considering purchase of a new 2008 Sonata Limited; but am distressed to see / read this kind of experience with rusting / warranty. Has anyone else experienced rusting problems which have NOT been happily, quickly and successfully resolved by the dealer/Hyundai/warranty????

Thanks very much for your responses!
Don't worry, the Sonata was completely redesigned in 2006. The new 2006-up Sonata is a much better vehicle than the 2000 Sonata.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:32 PM

I have a 2000 Sonata thats been having this same problem it seems everyone else is having with my frame completely rusted out and broken. Every mechanic i have spoken too has been surpirsed at the extent of rust that was in my frame after only 7 years. Ive called hyundai who explains that because im the second owner and not under warranty they will do nothing about it. I find this absolutely ridiculous since this is obviously a defect in the car and not a fault of mine or the previous owner. Ive been seriously contemplating hiring a lawyer and holding hyundai accountable has anybody else considered this or would be interested in filing a joint complaint so maybe something can be done about this serious problem? This is a risl to anybody who drives this type of hyundai, it seems that luckily nobody has been seriously injured but who knows what could happen if this problem is not taken care of and a recall is not made. If anybody has any idea or thoughts about this please respond!!!

Quick Reply: Engine Cradle Rusting out!