Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

headlight bulbs? 2009 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM
NUT
Default RE: headlight bulbs? 2009 Sonata

I think if you look closer, you will find the bulb in question is marked "H11b", not "H1b". Right you are sir,my bad.Check this outHid's For The 2009 - Hyundai-Forums.com and this- Our H11B Slim HID kit : HIDGUY.NET

Old 04-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Default 2009 Sonata low beam headlight replacement

My first forum post.
After reviewing this forum to replace the low beam headlight on my 2009 Sonata I was left with some open issues, so..after completing the replacement I thought I would clear up a few items.

1. The Low Beam lamp is an "H11B" you must acquire an H11B, no exceptions.
2. Most places do not stock this bulb so call AutoZone (close to me) and they can get one in a day. They cost about $15 each.
3. The design of the bulb is rather amazing in its simplicity to replace, I'll explain.
4. Open the Hood. Remove the Round Cover to the back of the bulb. Turn it counter clockwise to remove, about 1/4 turn. The low beam are the lamps closest to the outside edge of the vehicle.
5. To remove the bulb, reach in and turn the bulb counter clockwise 1/4 turn.
What is ingenious, is that you do NOT need to unplug the bulb, as you turn the bulb in the socket it automatically disengages (or engages) the bulb.
What is ridiculous is that no where in the manual, Haynes manual, Chilton manual etc, does it tell you how simple it is to remove. So you can spend a lot of time trying what you think you need to do. Again, simply remove the bulb by turning it counter-clockwise 1/4 turn.
6. To install align the bulb so the "blue dot" on the bulb handle will be facing UP after you twist it into place.

7. Note - On the battery side you have very little room for your hand. Don't use a tool to turn the bulb because you may short the tool to the Positive post on the battery. a) Use a socket and loosen the bolt on the bottery strap so that you can push the battery 1 inch towards the center of the car b) use a socket to loosen the bolt retaining a relay on the fender. By moving these two you free up enough room to get your hand in to turn the bulb.

PS I own Two Sonata's 2006 and 2009. These are terrific vehicles with a great warranty. Thanks for all the people that post on this site for all your answers.