Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

headlight intensity?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Default headlight intensity?

my wife was driving behind me in our 07 sonata 4cyl. as she accelerated, the headlights got bright, than normal. it seemed to be timed to the shift points. it was almost like the car was rocking back and flashing me her high beams. huh? like a 4cyl has that much torque? or maybe the suspension is that soft. i think it is a combination of soft springs and slightly misaligned headlights. and this was on a 30mph road. its not like we were on an on-ramp for the highway. i do like the halogen projector lights though.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Default RE: headlight intensity?

my wife was driving behind me in our 07 sonata 4cyl. as she accelerated, the headlights got bright, than normal. it seemed to be timed to the shift points. it was almost like the car was rocking back and flashing me her high beams. huh? like a 4cyl has that much torque? or maybe the suspension is that soft. i think it is a combination of soft springs and slightly misaligned headlights. and this was on a 30mph road. its not like we were on an on-ramp for the highway. i do like the halogen projector lights though.
Strange! Although maybe this could be a thing that most 4 cylinder cars have. I've noticed it with my previous car, a 2002 Toyota Corolla S. This was the case before and after I changed the battery. While driving out at night, I've yet to notice this with my Sonata Limited V6.

By the way, here is a URL with Pitures of my beauty.....http://www.carspace.com/sunsonshaan0...7%27s%20Album/.
. I'd love to see what your car looks like as well. How many miles have you driven it so far?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Only problem we have is the alignment of the headlights. They throw a goofy pattern.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 PM

my wifes previous car was a caddy STS. 300hp/4000lbs. the sonata is 165hp and 3300 lbs or close to it. she has a lead foot. as do my 2 kids. all hot rodders. i am a slow poke. maybe she is just getting used to the car. the caddy is still around. i am doing some engine work now. we have only put 300 miles on the sonata. probably average 10k/yr. it is black though. looks good when its clean.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 PM

I also like the high intensity headlights..it may be that the belt is slipping on the pulleys over the headlights getting brighter and then going back to normal, check out the tightness of that belt:

WheelBroker1

Old 05-22-2007, 12:26 PM

well, halogen projector bulbs are not exactly high intensity. maybe i have HIB, or high intensity bulbs. i am under the impression halogen is just the gas inside the buld and there is still a filiment. while a HID does not have a filiment but is actually an arc. HID is a different temp and has more brightness and the reflector is optimized to reflect that pattern. i think thats why an HID bulb retrofit in a car that had halogen bulbs to begin with is a compromise. i could look at the belt. serpentine? i have not opened the hood yet. its the wifes car.