Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

How To Store Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Default How To Store Car

It looks like we'll have to put our 2002 Sonata in storage. The tags are coming due in May and I'm not going to want to pay those when I can't afford to pay for the transmission issue. I don't like to do this to it, but I have no choice as it won't sell. My thought was to put a few gallons of gas in it with some Fuel Stabilizer, remove the battery and park it.
What do any of you think? What is a better way? Drain ALL the gas? Fill the tank and ad Stabil? Thanks,Scott

Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM

..............anyone.............?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Personally, I'd sell it. If it's not selling then you are asking too much. Any money you feel you will lose on the deal is probably less than what it will cost to store and repair the trans and fix and damage for storage later. Plus, you need to check the local laws about having an unregistered and uninsured vehicle on your property.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

I agree, but it's not selling. I have it listed for $2,000. It has 131,000 miles, a new Timing Belt, Water Pump, Drive Belt. The interior is nearly flawless. The windshield does have a crack on the pass side, down low. What is a car like this worth? The tranny 'might' be fixable for $500-$700 or worst case need replaced. We currently can't afford to fix it and really can't afford to re-register it.
Thankfully it can reside in our garage. Thanks,Scott

Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to tell you this but it's not worth that much. I like to use Edmunds.com as a good car appriasal tool. A 2002 Sonata LX, automatic, silver with 131,000 miles, and a broken trans and windshield is only worth at best about $1,500 in a private sale (at least in my zip code).

See for yourself:
2002 Hyundai Sonata LX Prices with Options
Be sure to select the condition as "Average" (May have a few mechanical and/or cosmetic problems and may require a considerable amount of reconditioning) based on the bad trans. I'd try to sell it for that. It will probably cost you at least $500 in repairs if you store it a couple years.