Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Insturments are so dark I cannot read them daytime

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Default Insturments are so dark I cannot read them daytime

I own a 2006 Sonata GLS 2.4 auto, and this is a wonderful car. The only problem is I cannot read the guages in the bright sunlite. The guages are not readable due to no lights to make them readable. At night when I have the lights on all is great. It is only during the daytime that it is next to imposible to read them. I have even gone so far as replacing the complete cluster, still the same so I guess I spent quite a sum of dollars for nothing. I have checked all fuses listed in the owners manuel related to the dash lites and insturment cluster. All are OK. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks BJ Sexton

Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 PM

I also have a 2006 Sonata but have not really had this problem. The only time it has been a slight issue is when the sunroof is open and the sun is coming through directly onto the instruments. In this case the glare on the instruments makes them hard to read but it is easily corrected by closing the sunroof and pulling the shade across.

The instument panel is only lit when the lights are on so if you are having an issue with them being too dark then perhaps you should turn the lights on to have them illuminated.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Or wear polarized sunglasses. The instrument cluster looks dark because your pupils are narrow due to the sunlight. Wearing glasses will cut down on the glare and allow your pupils to open slightly.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM

I guess this condition is actually normal. Why would anyone make an auto that the guages are not readable in any part of the day. I have perscription poloroid glasses that get dark in the bright sunlite and still cannot read the speedo, tack, fuel guage, temp guage etc.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM

If I turn on the lights the guages are still not readable in the daytime. If you shade the guage cluster they are better to be read. Without shading they are not readable in any form. Maybe the sun is quite a bit brighter in Texas, than other places, This is my third KIA, Hyundai, but never had any problem with the others. 04 Sorento, 08 Sorento, 06 Sonata, the sonata is the only unreadable dash guages out of the three. Why would Hyundai make readable guages any time and KIA make unreadable guages.

Last edited by bobyjo40; 01-30-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Today I was parked in the direct sunlight and with the windows down, I was able to read the guages very well. This problem may be due to the windows being tinted as dark as legal will allow.