Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Introduction / Fuel Efficiency Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Default Introduction / Fuel Efficiency Question

Hi folks,
I am a first-time Hyundai owner and as per forum etiquette, wanted to take the time to introduce myself prior to posting my question. I bought a silver Limited 2011 Sonata in July 2010 and have been very happy with it. Hyundai has made significant improvements to the quality and aesthetics of their cars over the past 10 years. In the past, I would not have even looked at a Hyundai, but these vehicles can no longer be ignored. My wife is anxious to get rid of her Toyota Sienna in favor of a Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe, but then again we're pretty frugal and hold onto our cars for quite awhile, so that's a non-starter ;-)

I have a question about the fuel efficiency I am getting. Initially, I was regularly getting 400-430 miles on a full tank of gas. However, for the last several months, the most I can get is around 380 miles. I do not believe my driving habits have changed, nor have my routes. Is there any other obvious items I would want to check? Oil was changed around three weeks ago, too, so I am at a loss as to why I cannot get the efficiency I had last year.

Thank you!
Ryan

Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Check the obvious thinhs like a clean air filter, correct tire pressures. Maybe the person doing the oil change used a heavier weight oil. Are you using the A/C more?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Check the obvious thinhs like a clean air filter, correct tire pressures. Maybe the person doing the oil change used a heavier weight oil. Are you using the A/C more?
Thanks, I had not thought of the type of oil that was used. Air filter is clean and tires are properly inflated. I am using the A/C a bit more recently, but my fuel "inefficiency" problem has been going on for several months, starting back in the winter.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mileage always goes down in the winter due to the winter-blend of fuel and the colder air intake temps.