Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Leaking fuel line - 01 Sonata

Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Default Leaking fuel line - 01 Sonata *PIC ADDED*

Hi all,

First post here. Just registered, and am looking for some help with an issue on a friends car.

My friend has a 2001 Sonata with the 2.4L V6. The fuel line that attaches with 2 screws to the front fuel-rail has deteriorated, and is leaking. Obviously it needs to be replaced. We were able to disconnect the end attached to the engine, no problem - 2 screws, and it popped right off. The 20mm connection at the other end (on the firewall where the flexible line attaches to the metal tube) seems impossible to undo. Ive sprayed it with PB Blaster, and cranked on it as hard as i can, and it wont budge. I'm afraid i'm going to twist and snap the metal tube. Anyone have any tips? I've got a 20mm wrench on the line, and a 14mm on the nut on the metal tube, but it's so hard to get any leverage in that tight space.

The attached pic shows the fuel line i'm talking about.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Leaking fuel line - 01 Sonata-sonata.jpg  

Last edited by seized threads; 02-05-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:05 PM

figured it out, and replying to my own thread in case someone else comes searching for a solution to the same problem.

It turned out to just be full of road grime and seized up. I gave it a good soaking of PB Blaster, hit it with the heat gun for a looooong time, and it eventually gave up and came loose.

The lower 14mm nut that i thought was a backing nut to stop the metal fuel line from twisting while wrenching the 20mm nut on the fuel line, is actually a threaded collar that spins freely (when its not full of road gunk). The ideal technique to remove this would be to hold the 20mm wrench still, and rotate the 14mm collar. i couldn't do this because the 14 mm collar was frozen in place, and was causing the metal line to twist and bend.

Hope this helps someone in the future...