Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Massive Increase in MPG.... is there a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Default Massive Increase in MPG.... is there a problem?

'02 6cyl Sonata
About 4 months ago I get about 1 mile away from my home and the engine decided to start puttering, engine light turns on, almost dies... but dosent... i make it home then turn it off, start it again and everything is fine.

1 week later, the same thing happens... turn it off, then back on and everything is fine! Ever since then there has never been a problem.

However, a Full tank of gas always got me about 260-280 miles... ever since the puttering and almost dieing, I not get about 370-390 miles per tank!

Thats a heavy decrease in gas consumption! I'm not complaining about that but it just seems to me that something has got to be wrong. But there are no engine lights or anything on the dash.

Also, in the past 2.5 months there has been a loud hmmmm coming from the front of the car. If I put it in park and just rev the engine, it's normal, but when I'm driving the fast I go the louder the hmm.... plus anything over 45 mph and the cars shakes.

Any idea on what is going on?
Thanks all for the help!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Start by getting the codes scanned to see what happened before that started off the whole situation. Even though the CEL went out there should still be a code stored that will help direct you to where the problem may lie.

The humming sound may be a wheel bearing issue or perhaps a tire problem.

Also, I assume the regular things have been checked such as air filter, spark plugs and wires and the car has received proper maintenance.