Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

New 2009 Limited V6 Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 PM
dgs
Default New 2009 Limited V6 Owner!

So I bought the limited V6 model with navigation two days ago. What a car! I traded in a 2006 Accord V6 EX-L coupe with a manual transmission. I just got a new job which is an 18 mile trek each way, and much of it is in stop and go traffic. As you can imagine that is a pain with a manual transmission. My previous job was only 6.5 miles from apartment and it was a straight shot with hardly any traffic so the manual transmission never bothered me. But after a couple of weeks doing the new commute I decided I had enough. I did a lot of research and decided the new Sonata was the best deal out there. Went to my local Hyundai dealership for a test drive and I was sold. They did not have a limited with navigation however, so I had them flatbed a limited model with navigation they found at another dealership 200 miles away. I did not want some stranger putting all of those miles on my new car. It had 10 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.

Anyway, here is a brief comparison of my 06 Accord vs my new Sonata:

1. Ride Quality - No question about it, the Sonata destroys the Accord in this category. The Accord had a super firm suspension that punished you over any road imperfections. It was horrible. It would make me sick to my stomache at times. The Accord had decent handling, but the sacrifice for ride commort wasn't worth it to me. The new Sonata has the same handling but it rides so much nicer. It's like floating on a cloud. The seats are also more comfortable in the Sonata with incredible lumbar support.

2. Features - Again my new Sonata is much better in this area than the Accord. The following features come with the Sonata and were not available or standard equipment in the Accord: auto on/off dusk sensing headlights, auto open/close moonroof, auxillary port for MP3 players, a CD player that reads MP3 disks, automatic volume control (I love this feature), auto dimming review mirror with compass, foglights, 360 watt Infinity system with seperate subwoofer (vs 180 watt and no sub in the Accord), and premium scuff plates. Again, most of those features weren't even available with the 03-07 Accords and the others (such as foglights and autodim rearview mirror) were expensive options that should have come stock on a $28,000 car.

3. Quality - The Accord obviously had very good quality. But one area the Sonata also destroy's the Accord is interior noise levels. The Accord was SO noisy on the highway. All kinds of wind and tire noise. It gave the car a cheap economy feeling to have so much noise intrude into the cabin. Because the stereo system did not have auto volume control I was constantly messing with the volume to compensate for changes in noise. It would be super loud when I would get off the freeway and then it would be too quiet when I got on the freeway. Otherwise I would say the quality of both was equal.

Well thats my short little comparison. The new Sonata is a lot of car for the money. The $1,000 rebate on the 09's just makes it that much sweeter. I feel Hyundai has a homerun with this 09 redesign. I obviously chose it over the competition such as the 08 Malibu, 08 Accord, 08 Altima, and 08 Camry. It just has the best value for the money. It's very fuel efficient (plus it only requires regular unleaded), very safe, great looking, great driving, and supremely comfortable. I plan on driving the car until it dies, which I'm hoping will be for many, many years to come!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Default RE: New 2009 Limited V6 Owner!

Thanks for the review. I'll agree Accords have road noise. Somewhere down the road let us know how you like the NAV. Enjoy.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Sonata purchase. Best of luck with it!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM

Owning both cars ('05 Accord EX V6 and an 4-banger '06 Sonata) I can fully agree. Even before the upgraded, better '09, I felt I have NOTHING to feel inferior driving the Sonata (yes, the 4 banger has less power, duh).

I am not sure I'd define the Accord as a lesser car. The Accord has been always more sporty than its rival, the Camry, it's geared for the younger driver. The Sonata's ride is more like the softer, quieter Camry (I used to lease Camrys in the 90s).

Yes, the Sonata is a remarkable car. Hyundai is now the "WE TRY HARDER" company, that must get rid of the terrible reputation it earned in the 90s, and justifiably so.... The '06 Sonata was their first product they decided to DO IT RIGHT, THIS TIME, OR NEVER...

Enjoy the ride! I envy you....

Old 05-02-2008, 11:04 PM
dgs

ORIGINAL: mamamia

Owning both cars ('05 Accord EX V6 and an 4-banger '06 Sonata) I can fully agree. Even before the upgraded, better '09, I felt I have NOTHING to feel inferior driving the Sonata (yes, the 4 banger has less power, duh).

I am not sure I'd define the Accord as a lesser car. The Accord has been always more sporty than its rival, the Camry, it's geared for the younger driver. The Sonata's ride is more like the softer, quieter Camry (I used to lease Camrys in the 90s).

Yes, the Sonata is a remarkable car. Hyundai is now the "WE TRY HARDER" company, that must get rid of the terrible reputation it earned in the 90s, and justifiably so.... The '06 Sonata was their first product they decided to DO IT RIGHT, THIS TIME, OR NEVER...

Enjoy the ride! I envy you....
Yes, ultimately the Accord is probably the better handler. It definitely was fast with the manual transmission and V6 combo. The car seriously hauled butt. There were quite a few cars I smoked with that Accord and most of the drivers couldn't believe it. It was a lot of fun at times and I never had any problems with it in the almost three years I owened it. But ride was punishing. The seats were too firm, the spring rates were way too firm, and the wind/road noise was exhausting on long drives. Spending five hours in the car was not a fun affair.

My Sonata is such a breath of fresh air. These past four days I've been driving it back forth from my new drive have been a dream. It's so quiet, so smooth on the highway, and perfect for stop and go driving. The auto transmission is really nice and always shifts to the correct gear at the correct time. I love having the ability to shift myself too. I just can't get over how amazing the car is and how far hyundai has come. The only reason anyone would now buy a Honda or a Toyota over a Hyundai is for the name. I believe Hyundai is equal to those two in quality, feature content, reliability, and performance. But at thousands of dollars less money. What's not to like about that?

In five years when I'm ready to purchase a new car I think the Genesis sedan will be next on my list.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Dgs, as much as your still "remember" your good old Accord, would you agree that the Accord, being a V6, had more vibrations when idling, compared toyour newSonata?

I find our V6 Accord's vibrations during idling (when in gear) a LOT more pronounced (and annoying) -- even when compared to our Sonata, which is a 4-banger....I mentioned it to our dealer more than once, but they claim all is normal...

Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: dgs

So I bought the limited V6 model with navigation two days ago. What a car! I traded in a 2006 Accord V6 EX-L coupe with a manual transmission. I just got a new job which is an 18 mile trek each way, and much of it is in stop and go traffic. As you can imagine that is a pain with a manual transmission. My previous job was only 6.5 miles from apartment and it was a straight shot with hardly any traffic so the manual transmission never bothered me. But after a couple of weeks doing the new commute I decided I had enough. I did a lot of research and decided the new Sonata was the best deal out there. Went to my local Hyundai dealership for a test drive and I was sold. They did not have a limited with navigation however, so I had them flatbed a limited model with navigation they found at another dealership 200 miles away. I did not want some stranger putting all of those miles on my new car. It had 10 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.

Anyway, here is a brief comparison of my 06 Accord vs my new Sonata:

1. Ride Quality - No question about it, the Sonata destroys the Accord in this category. The Accord had a super firm suspension that punished you over any road imperfections. It was horrible. It would make me sick to my stomache at times. The Accord had decent handling, but the sacrifice for ride commort wasn't worth it to me. The new Sonata has the same handling but it rides so much nicer. It's like floating on a cloud. The seats are also more comfortable in the Sonata with incredible lumbar support.

2. Features - Again my new Sonata is much better in this area than the Accord. The following features come with the Sonata and were not available or standard equipment in the Accord: auto on/off dusk sensing headlights, auto open/close moonroof, auxillary port for MP3 players, a CD player that reads MP3 disks, automatic volume control (I love this feature), auto dimming review mirror with compass, foglights, 360 watt Infinity system with seperate subwoofer (vs 180 watt and no sub in the Accord), and premium scuff plates. Again, most of those features weren't even available with the 03-07 Accords and the others (such as foglights and autodim rearview mirror) were expensive options that should have come stock on a $28,000 car.

3. Quality - The Accord obviously had very good quality. But one area the Sonata also destroy's the Accord is interior noise levels. The Accord was SO noisy on the highway. All kinds of wind and tire noise. It gave the car a cheap economy feeling to have so much noise intrude into the cabin. Because the stereo system did not have auto volume control I was constantly messing with the volume to compensate for changes in noise. It would be super loud when I would get off the freeway and then it would be too quiet when I got on the freeway. Otherwise I would say the quality of both was equal.

Well thats my short little comparison. The new Sonata is a lot of car for the money. The $1,000 rebate on the 09's just makes it that much sweeter. I feel Hyundai has a homerun with this 09 redesign. I obviously chose it over the competition such as the 08 Malibu, 08 Accord, 08 Altima, and 08 Camry. It just has the best value for the money. It's very fuel efficient (plus it only requires regular unleaded), very safe, great looking, great driving, and supremely comfortable. I plan on driving the car until it dies, which I'm hoping will be for many, many years to come!

I traded from a Lexus IS260 AWD... I must say, I lost some handling but more options are standard, softer ride, standard gas vs premium and MUCH lower car payment.... all in all, VERY please with Sonata