Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

obd 2 p0011

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Default obd 2 p0011

can anyone help? I have a 06 sonata w/59000 mi. trouble code p0011 on the scanner. it starts fine and runs fine. does it just have a bad sensor? it was parked for the last 5 months, could it have anything to do with low octane gas, because it is old? and if the sensor where is it located? any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Banned

P0011 is: "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced

It means the camshaft position sensor has determined that the camshaft is out of timing with the crankshaft sensor. The extreme likelyhood, since your car has 59K, is that your timing belt is so stretched out that the cam is not in time with the crank properly. Since your are supposed change the timing belt at 60K anyway, then I would suggest doing so... soon.

If you told me your car only has 30K with this trouble code, I would tell you to remove the top of the timing belt cover and do an inspection and an adjustment ( a 10 minute job).

Timing belts jobs cost anywhere from $200 to $1000, depending on where you take it, and what other work you have done. It's a good idea to change the outer drive belts when you do this, since they must be removed anyway and also need changing. A lot of shops will try to talk you into also doing the water pump, the tension pulley, and the seals, but I wouldn't do all that. Just have the timing belt done, the outer drive belts, do a coolant flush and an oil change.

If you really want it done correctly and maintain the warranty, just call around to you local Hyundai dealers and ask them the cost of the 60k service. They'll do the necessary service and maintain the warranty.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 AM

is this a big job to do myself? I did it on a toyota 22re years ago, pretty much the same?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Banned

If you've done one before, then you know what's involved. Especially Toyota, I've found Toyota to be a biotch because they put too many little bolts everywhere that rust and brake. I haven't done my Hyundai yet, but it doesn't look too hard. The only hard thing is the tensioner is not spring loaded, you have to set it by hand to the correct tightness, but even that is not too difficult. You just need 5mm of deflection on the belt when you are done when you press with your finger (not too hard).

Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by jsinton
P0011 is: "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced

It means the camshaft position sensor has determined that the camshaft is out of timing with the crankshaft sensor. The extreme likelyhood, since your car has 59K, is that your timing belt is so stretched out that the cam is not in time with the crank properly. Since your are supposed change the timing belt at 60K anyway, then I would suggest doing so... soon.
garret - The only problem with jsinton's logic on this matter is that the 06 Sonata, regardless of engine, does not have a timing belt. Both the Theta II I4 and Lambda V6 have timing chains, and a chain stretched far enough to cause a timing issue would make it presence well know. Both engines do possess Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT), which is a ECU controlled system that advances or retards the intake camshaft to meet power requirements at speed while minimizing emissions. One of the sensors involved or the main CVVT mechanism mounted on the end of the camshaft could be failing or have failed. Under 60,000 miles, this should be a warranty repair. I'd get the car to a Hyundai dealership ASAP.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 PM

With the code you have then it is likly a CVVT problem. Also could be a plugged up oil control valve. do you change your oil on time? is is sludged? It is under warranty take it in.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hytech
With the code you have then it is likly a CVVT problem. Also could be a plugged up oil control valve. do you change your oil on time? is is sludged? It is under warranty take it in.
I have the same problem with my 06 Sonata I4. At first, starting about 3 months ago the check engine light came on intermittently. It would come on for a few days then go out for a day or two, then it would come on again for a few days. This went on for about two months. I then changed the oil and a couple of days later the light went out. The light stayed off for about a month. I thought the problem was solved. Unfortunately, the light just came back on. It was on for about 6 days, went out for 2 days, now it's on again.
If the problem is clogged or plugged up oil control valve or other bad oil problem, what is the fix? What could I do? The car is no longer under warranty.

Last edited by kingsfr; 03-12-2010 at 05:17 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Default 5yr // 60,000 warranty

Oil control valve concern.... put a bunch in the 4cylinders, have you had the intake gasket crack yet for misfire or lean code ??

Put a few control valves in either bank of the V6 also.

Not an uncommon concern

Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Oil control valve concern.... put a bunch in the 4cylinders, have you had the intake gasket crack yet for misfire or lean code ??

Put a few control valves in either bank of the V6 also.

Not an uncommon concern
The only code that showed was P0011.
If the oil control valve was bad, would the light be intermittent? Some have suggested that bad oil or a piece of oil sludge could be clogging something up. What is your opinion on that?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 AM

PCM is looking for Desired value (what the PCM is trying to cycle the oil control valve) and the Target value (where the cam is actually).. you can visual these values in the "CURRENT DATA" screen on the GDS.

The first goofy issue I had with one, Tech assist said to pull the control valve, and look for specs of metal from head machining/assembly.

New car with oil that been change regular, and the dipstick ang plate under the oil fill cap is clean, I'm not too concerned with "sludge" in the oil control screen.

Quick Reply: obd 2 p0011