Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Question on Pricing of Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Default Question on Pricing of Sonata

I purchased my Sonata last friday, thinking it was a v6 (which is what I told the salesman I wanted), only to find out it's a 2.4l. Ok, I should have looked under the hood, but honestly do many woman do that? I told my husband it was a v6, thinking it was, and today when he finally had a chance to look at the paperwork and the manual, he realized it was a 2.4l. He was not with me when I purchased the car, only came in to sign his end of it, and didn't really pay any attention assuming I would not get something like that wrong. Which of course I did. He is also not the one who will be driving it so he wasn't too interested in any of this anyway.

Anyway, I now have a 2008 Sonata Limited, just about fully loaded except no bluetooth or sunroof, and I paid $16,900. Is that a pretty fair price? I am seriously considering going to another dealership and trading it for a v6 engine. It now has about 200 miles on it. I love the car but would really like a little more power. I did notice the hesitation when i press the gas peddle when I hit the highway AFTER I bought it but I figured it was just because it was new. Any thoughts would be appreciated on what I paid. Did I do ok considering it's a 2.4l? Regarding my huge stupid mistake on engine size, please keep those comments to yourself... )

Also, my husband is not a fan of 2.4l engines, so to any of you out there who currently have one, how is it running? do you like it? I know the gas mileage is better, but I really like the power of a v6 engine.

Thanks,

Newsonata

Oh, btw, I didn't realize until yesterday, the sticker that is usually on the door was stuffed into the pouch on the drivers side chair (on the back), so I never looked at that either. Had I looked I would not have purchased this particular one.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Question on Pricing of Sonata

If you go to trade it in you will lose a lot of money of the depreciation. The 2.4L 4-cyl is a very good engine and it does get better fuel economy. I've driven both 4-cyl and V6 Sonatas and while the power of the V6 is amazing I feel the 4-cyl is more than adequate for the Sonata. Sure it won't be a drag racing king but the acceleration is more than enough for daily driver status, plus you will save money on fuel and insurance.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM

I've driven both the I4 and V6 Sonota in 2008 models. I too thought the I4 was more than enough engine for the car, but didn't like the 4 speed automatic that was paired up with it. I felt the top two gears were spaced too far apart. When the car shifted down, the I4 was reving way up and sounded harsh. By comparison I thought the V6/5 speed automatic combination were ideally matched. Hyundai must have received many comments about this. For 2009, the I4 is now mated to a 5 speed automatic.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 AM

I agree, you'll get killed if you trade it.

Do you think they knew you wanted a V6, and willfully misled you, or they just weren't paying attention?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Thanks so much for your responses! I believe they just weren't paying attention to me when I said I wanted a V6. I really do love the car and am actually looking at putting in the Kenwood DNX 8102 nav. system, but can't decide if I should or not as I have such a bad feeling about the car now. Hyundai has a 'too bad so sad' attitude about what happened so I guess I'm stuck with a 2.4l. I've never had anything other then a v6 so this is quite a change for me.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:24 AM

Enjoy your car. The price you paid beats any pricing I've seen on any forum.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 PM

What ever happened to the Owner Satisfaction ?
Did you speak with your dealer and voice your disatisfaction?
Usuallydealers give you 30 days or more to change your mind.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 AM

I called the dealer on Wed. morning right when we noticed and he told us if we had called two days earlier he could have done something but now it was registered with the state and taxes had been paid and there was nothing we could do. Apparently Hyundai in Plano TX doesn't care about customer happiness...

Old 04-19-2008, 10:41 AM

Once a car is registered with the state's DMV, it becomes a "used" vehicle. Once you had registered the car, the dealer could not take the car back and sell it to another customer as a "new" vehicle. Someone would have to suffer the depreciation and the dealer is always going to protect themselves from that situation. Yes, some dealers may give you 30 days, but only so long as you do not register the car and that only applies in states that have at least a 30 day grace period to register them. In some states, the car has to be registered almost as soon as it leaves the lot.

I think the lesson here is buyer beware. Know exactly what you are buying before you sign.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:31 PM

I've been driving my I-4 Sonata for over 2 years now, and even after driving a V6 loaner, I have NO ISSUES with the car. This is a LARGE engine, that gives adequate power. Never read ANY professional review that was complaining about the I-4 being underpowered.

The V6 has more power, of course, but it certainly wouldn't make much sense to lose so much money on a brand new car, for the sake of a bit more power.....

I don't know if the dealer played a trick on you. In general, I would never let a woman deal with a car dealer on her own... These people are USUALLY not the most honest..... But the price you paid is OK.

Enjoy your car, you'll get used to it, and learn to love it.

Quick Reply: Question on Pricing of Sonata