Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Road Noise--any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Default Road Noise--any ideas?

I'm looking for ideas: My GLS has quite a bit more road noise than my Camry did. I think it is too much for a new car of this size. Has anyone changed the tires yet? I was looking at putting Michelins on it. Please, any ideas on insulation or other ideas would be much appreciated.

The car is great on very smoot surfaces but as soon as one hits the slightest bit of courseness it gets quite loud. The suspension also is a little too jarring. Also, these cars are supposed to have 198 hp, hmmm, my car feels like 108 hp. In my opinion the car looks much better than it drives.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:41 PM

I made the same comments in another thread. There is quite a bit of road noise. I have the SE which, because of the bigger wheels and lower profile tires, is noisier than the GLS. But it is still not as noisy as the Subaru that I replaced!

I would be curious to hear how the Michelin tires work out. I have a feeling that the Hankook tires are at least part of the problem.

Out of curiosity, I made some inquiries regarding sound deadening and the product that was recommended is B-Quiet. It is much cheaper than Dyna-mat (a real popular sound deadening material manufacturer) and they offer sound absorbing mats which can be installed under your carpet as well as the stick-on sound deadening material. Sometime, I may give the sound absorbing mat a try and see if it helps.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 AM

Mine came with Michlin MX4's when it was new back in 2004..Just replaced them with Dunlops..The MX4's were much quieter than the new dunlops.