Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Scary Sonata... literally

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Default Scary Sonata... literally

Has anyone seen the likes of this before?

My 2013 Sonata Hybrid (ultimate) does this random violent bumping thing that is terrifying. We'll be driving along and all the sudden, boom boom. It feels like we've run over someone in the road. There is usually a high pitch brake or tire squealing noise that accompanies it. It scares us to death every time. It's an intermittent, random thing. I've had it in the shop over and over and they still haven't identified or fixed the problem. I finally mounted a video camera and hit "record" every time I drove until I captured the madness (didn't take long either... two days). It's very upsetting when it happens. My little boy said "it made his heart stop". Should your car terrify your family? I'm thinking not.

For the sake of others out here wondering about problems they are having with their vehicle, I'll add that I've had nothing but one problem after another with the 2012 Sonata Hybrid I purchased new. The radio was bad from the go. The steering pulls (ruining tires), it makes all kinds of noises and thumps underneath, the smart key has gone out, the air intake thing in the front of the vehicle went bad, it stops accelerating forward and will leave me a sitting duck in the road with the engine revving like it's going to blow. Furthermore, my fuel economy keeps dropping and dropping. My "35mpg city" is at about 27mpg city no matter how conservatively I try to drive.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to say. Can you tell if it happens when the engine starts up? Not when you start the car but when the engine will kick in. So basically you are going along slowly on the electric motor and just when you get fast enough that the gasoline engine starts and begins powering the vehicle. It kinda looks like that to me. Something wrong with the connection between the gas engine and electric motor.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Default It's not battery to gas to transition

If you look in the video, I am not in EV mode. I'm in gas mode all the way. The car had been running for quite some time when it happened. It doesn't appear to be related to the change over.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 AM

It happend to me but it ended up being my speed sensor when i turned real hard