Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Sonata timing belt warranty issue and

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Default Sonata timing belt warranty issue and

My sonata 2001 4 cylhas an extension on the warranty for 120K or 12 months , I have 107 miles and had the timing belt changed at 56K now I hear a noise in the timing belt cover If I decide to have it repaired will it be covered under the warranty that's the tension pulley and bearings and also it may be the problem withthe balancing belt and tensioner pulley making that noise? please let me know asap Thanks [/align]

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Default RE: Sonata timing belt warranty issue and

Is the extended warranty through Hyundai or somebody else? If it is through Hyundai and you had the belts replaced at the appropriate intervals, it should be covered. If you haven't had the belts replaced it definitely won't be covered. If the warranty is 3rd party you'll need to check with them but it is probably going to be a lot harder to get them to pay out. Unless you get the factory extended warranty generally they are a waste of money.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Sonata06GLSV6

Is the extended warranty through Hyundai or somebody else? If it is through Hyundai and you had the belts replaced at the appropriate intervals, it should be covered. If you haven't had the belts replaced it definitely won't be covered. If the warranty is 3rd party you'll need to check with them but it is probably going to be a lot harder to get them to pay out. Unless you get the factory extended warranty generally they are a waste of money.

Extended warranty isthrough Hyundai , do you remember they made a mistake on the engine size or HP out put, so they gave every 1999-2001 an extended warranty out of courtesy, so its 120K or 12 yrs , and Im still l13k shy of the warranty, the belt was replaced by the dealer Hyundai, at 56K so I should have until 116K to get this thing fixed for free, BUT, BUT what if they say its preventive maintenance to get the belt changed or the water pump isn't covered making the noise in which I know its the belt or an Idler making the noise. now could I wind up with $500.00 BILL FOR NOTHING and do they cover the repair time under these warantees? I have been trough a lot of useless spending money on this car in the passed like they tyranny they said it was maintenance to have the thing flushed and later$300.00 out of my pocket, they broke a sensor off when they did that and cost me more to bring it back 3 times before they found the real problem. so do think with all the hyp and they want $90.00 for labor just to open the timing cover 4 bolts up top . or should I just go to my regular mechanic and let him fix the thing even if its $ $400,00, What a catch 22 to be into thanks for your advice pleas let me know what to do.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 PM

so I should have until 116K to get this thing fixed for free, BUT, BUT what if they say its preventive maintenance to get the belt changed or the water pump isn't covered making the noise in which I know its the belt or an Idler making the noise.
The Hyundai Service/Warranty FAQ says it best:

What customer repair expenses are reimbursable?

None of the repair expenses are reimbursable since it is the owner's responsibility to maintain their vehicles.

Cost of routine maintenance, including timing belt replacements, are not covered by the warranty. You should still have the noise investigated and the belts replaced. $500 to have these matter dealt with now is cheaper than a new engine, which is what you will need if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: ken99

so I should have until 116K to get this thing fixed for free, BUT, BUT what if they say its preventive maintenance to get the belt changed or the water pump isn't't covered making the noise in which I know its the belt or an Idler making the noise.
The Hyundai Service/Warranty FAQ says it best:

What customer repair expenses are reimbursable?

None of the repair expenses are reimbursable since it is the owner's responsibility to maintain their vehicles.

Cost of routine maintenance, including timing belt replacements, are not covered by the warranty. You should still have the noise investigated and the belts replaced. $500 to have these matter dealt with now is cheaper than a new engine, which is what you will need if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@
So Kenn99 what you are saying is stay a way from the dealer even if he replaced the belt he will look for more a jack up the bill to over $500 because its so near the 60K mark to do the belt anyway, and with a good reputable shop in which I know of it may just be cheaper and the work done right. what do ya think.?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:07 PM

what do ya think.?
If you have been diligent with scheduled maintence to assure that the warranty is still effect, wait 4,000 miles and have the service done by the mechanic of your choice. Otherwise, have it done the same now.