Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Sonata versus Saturn Aura?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Default Sonata versus Saturn Aura?

I am strongly considering the 09 Sonata Limited V6 but in the last few days have begun considering a Saturn Aura XR V6. Aura is more expensive, and does look a tad nicer on the inside. Not sure how the Saturn V6 compares to the Sonata V6, but from what I have read, the Saturn scores higher.

With all that in mind, I am still not convinced that the Aura's advantages outweigh the increase in cost (about $3,000 or so) and 3 years less on the warranty. Both seem to be nice cars, but the Sonata seems to offer greater value and more piece of mind.

Any thoughts out there regarding this?

Also, anyone have the navigation package on the 09 Sonata? Is it worth it? Pros? Cons?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Default RE: Sonata versus Saturn Aura?

All these hits (34)? And not one response? I thought people on here liked to dicuss everything Hyundai.

I just wanted an opinion on the relative merits of the Sonata V6 limited over the Saturn Aura.

Let me ask it a different way. Why is it that the Sonata limited lists higher then the Aura XR, but after rebates and deep discounting, the Aura ends up costing some $3,000 to $3,500 more for the same options?

And more importantly, is it worth that increase in price? Sure "worth" is a personal definition, but that is why I am asking others to see what they think. I have my opinion, just thought I would see what others thought.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I've never driven a Aura so I can't give you a good comparison. If it were me, I'd pick the Sonata but that opinion may be biased. Hope that helps.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM

Fair enough. No one here has driven a SaturnAura XR.

Okay, can anyone who has the Sonanta V6 Limited tell me a few things.

One thing, the radio (for an Infinity with that power) didn't exactly blow me away. Granted it was one test drive. Anyone have a different experience with the radio? If you have the car, do you find the radio more than adequate? I like the Bose stereo in the car I'll trade in. Not sure if the Infinity beats that radio.

Anyone have the navigation package? Do you like it? Seems, from what I have read, there are problems with it. Something to pass on? Or a definite get?

Thanks for any replies!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Fair enough. No one here has driven a Saturn Aura XR.
Well it is, after all, a Hyundai forum...

Last spring, April, May or June, Road & Track magazine ran a comparative review article on "mid-size" family 4 door sedans. It included the usual suspects (Camry, Accord) plus the 2009 Sonata (but an I4 only, not the V6), the Ford Fusion, Mazda 6 and the new Malibu, which is a clone of the Aura. The R&T editors still ranked the Camry and Accord quite high, mostly for their driving characteristics. They like to slap the cars through a road course where steering feedback is very important if pushing the vehicle to the edge of it's capabilities. The review liked the upgrades to the Sonata, particularly the 5 speed automatic now mated to the I4. Although the Sonata has plenty of understeering (which the editors tended to favor), Hyundai isolates the steering so well that it minimizes the feedback to the driver (which the editors did not like). If I remember correctly, the article did not like the ECOTEC I4 engine in the Malibu, but gave positive comments about the V6 version. The Malibu possessed the narrowest track of the sedans tested and most complaints were related to limited interior space, cramped back seat and terrible visability out the back of the car. My daughter just purchased a 2009 Sonata GLS I4 and we did test drive an I4 Malibu. She is only 5'-0" and said she was basically blind trying to see out the back of the car. I had less trouble, but the C pillar appears hugh on Malibu compared to the Sonata.

One thing, the radio (for an Infinity with that power) didn't exactly blow me away. Granted it was one test drive. Anyone have a different experience with the radio? If you have the car, do you find the radio more than adequate? I like the Bose stereo in the car I'll trade in. Not sure if the Infinity beats that radio.
Is the Infinity better than a Bose? For sound quality, probably not but that would depend on your ear and taste for music. For features, I would think the Infinity is just as good. My daughter has an Ipod, so we purchased the Hyundai Ipod control cable for her car. The head units works slick in providing control of the Ipod. The USB connector also works quite well with a flash drive (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/m_15638...1/tm.htm#15665). The CD player in the GLS is a single disk system, whereas the Limited will come with a multi-disk player.

Anyone have the navigation package? Do you like it? Seems, from what I have read, there are problems with it. Something to pass on? Or a definite get?
Neither my 2008 Sonata V6 Limited (it was not offered) or my daughters 2009 GLS have the navigation option. She has since purchased a Garmin Nuvi. Last fall, my in-laws purchased a Lucern V8 that does have OnStar and the Nav package. While they like the car, they have not liked the GM navigation system, particularly the way it selects routes and have had trouble with system upgrades. It does a poor job of recalculating the best route if you veer off course. They have since purchased a high end Garmin, which they feel functions much better. I would ask who supplies the system and investigate further before purchasing that option.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 PM

The Saturn Aura is basically a European Opel, which if you read European reliability ratings.... are dismal cars... You know what the last Opels imported was to receive initial rave reviews? The Cadillac Catera and Saturn L series. Read up on those gems. The Saab 9-3 also shares the Epsilon platform with the Aura, although it's been made since 2002..... and it's a proven turd, just read Consumer Reports.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 PM

I've driven both, and purchased the Sonata.

(After 20 years of fixing jet aircraft for a living, I can spot god & bad engineering/quality control a mile away.)

Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 PM

I'm new, but I still can provide you an opinion.

Based on the price and EPA estimates, the Hyundai beats the Aura there. Based on reliability track records and initial quality tests, same deal.

I'd strongly recommend steering away from Saturn in general, let alone based on the purchase of these two vehicles. I've seen far too many lemons with GM cars. If that's not enough, this helped convince me.A 75 year old man that hangs out in front of aSaturn dealership with a giant "Do not buy a Saturn unless you want a lemon" sign facing the 4 lane highway in my area, 3 days a week, 6 hours a day.