Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Strange transmission problem. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Default Strange transmission problem. Please help.

I own a 2006 Hyndai Sonata V6, it has approximately 36K miles on the odometer. I am the second owner I purchased it with 33K miles on it. I've owned the vehicle since May 07 and haven't had any problems with it until last night. I drove to work and back (only about 1-2 miles total) with no problems. I let my friend use my car to pickup something at walmart and now the transmission is acting strange.

When I put my car in Drive and proceed to accelerate I get to about 10mph and the D on the dashboard gear indicator turns into a D1 and the car seems to stay in 1st gear. When it first happened I assumed I bumped the Auto-Stick feature and didn't realize it, but that was not the case. The car will stay in first gear no matter what I do in the Automatic setting. I was seriously bummed when this happens since I baby the car and only drive a few miles a day max. I experimented with the Auto-stick feature and I could manage to get it to shift into second only momentarily. Im seriously hoping this is a simple fix (IE electronic problem, instead of mechanical).

If anyone has any advice or recommendations I would seriously appreciate it. I'm a Solider and I don't make much money so I surely hope this is covered under the second owner warranty.

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 12-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Default RE: Strange transmission problem. Please help.

Please folks Im in serious need of some advice..

Is this something that the 5yr/50k mile warranty would cover?

Has anyone ever seen this before?

The dealership isn't that far away I might be able to limp there, but is there anything in Hyundai's warranty that allows me to have a tow-truck pick my vehicle up?

Any info will help.

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, you are under warranty. Take it to the dealer.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:39 PM

Hello - my '06 Sonata did the very exact same thing to me on the way home from the store, about 15 miles away. I am hoping someone can help with what this problem is and how it can be fixed. I am a 2nd owner, but I just turned over 50K miles on my car this past week! How frustrating. Does anyone have any answer as to the problem & what the fix is? thank u.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Default 2006 Hyundai Sonata Transmission Problems

There were a couple of older posts describing this problem but no resolution - will not upshift when in Drive (D1 displays), and will not change gears in the Sport mode. No error codes are being generated and the dealer is scratching his head. Any ideas.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Guys, I believe the powertrain warranty for the second owner is good for 5-years or 60,000 miles....so both of you should be covered by the warranty and this is most definitely a powertrain issue (anything that makes the car move).

I love my car, but I can already tell the transmission will be the first thing to give me problems. Everything else performs flawlessly.

Good luck and let us know what the dealership says.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Default Hyundai Sonata transmission problems

Unfortunately, mine has 65k miles, and I'm the third owner. The mechanic is now saying it is something internal - sounds expensive

Old 12-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Default fix

here is what I had to do for my son's sonata @(64000) . there is a sensor mounted externally on the transmission (left side,under air intake) that I changed also the tranny fluid was weird brought to a mechanic who completely drained, flushed & replaced fluid ---- works perfect!! hope this helps

Last edited by RAYBEES; 12-04-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Default 2006 Sonata transmission problem

have a 2006 Sonata with the v-6 auto. I was reading the problems a few people were taking about, my problem is simular but at the same time different. The simular thing is that the display on the dash showed D1, D2, and the engine reved like I was in the sports mode and downshifted to first or sencond. I thougt too that the lever had been pushed over to the right but it was not. When I moved to the right the I got the normal D and the car shifted fine. I thougt if i disconnected the negative battery cable for a few minute the car would reset itself. After reconnecting the cable the regular D mode works just fine upshifting and downshifting, but when I use the sport mode setting pushing the lever all the way to the right I get 1st gear, then I can get to 2nd gear, then it unloads back into first, kinda like my old 75 chrystler did when I had to have a drum and few clutches replaced. I know it couldn't be the transmission needs to be replaced because if it did wouldn't it not work in both normal and sport mode? Sounds like an electrical or sensor problem plus the fluid level is fine, the fluid is still good. I'm not the original owner, and it has 79k on it. Is there and easy cost effective fix, or do am I going to have the bite the bullet and have the dealer fix it. Any Ideas, and any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM

I might be able to offer some insight.

I have an 02 Sonata that had a similar issue. When in D it would stay in 3rd all the time no matter what, no down shifting or up shifting. From a dead stop it was in 3rd, the only way to get it to shift properly was to go into the shifttronic mode and then I could make it down shift and up shift. However, when it up shifted it would rev high and then slam into gear, it was almost scary to drive it.

Took it to the dealer and the input speed sensor that talks to the tranny had gone bad so effectively the tranny had no idea what gear to be in or how to shift which is why it had to be done "manually". It had about 40k and I am the original owner and don't drive it hard. Hope this helps somewhat.

Quick Reply: Strange transmission problem. Please help.