Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Timing chain hitting oil jet on NF Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Default Timing chain hitting oil jet on NF Sonata

Hey guys,

I was curious if anyone has seen this before or may have any ideas. On my 06 Sonata NF with the 2.4L engine, I popped off the timing chain cover to investigate a rattling noise. I found the chain tensioner at full extension causing the chain to come into contact with the oil jet for the crankshaft sprocket. The tensioner does not appear to be the problem as it is functioning properly. Why could this be happening?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Just an FYI for everyone on what fixed this. The only conclusion I could come to is that everything had worn out enough to cumulatively cause the chain tensioner to be at full extension, which pushed the chain into the crank sprocket oil jet. I replaced the chain, crank sprocket, tensioner arm, and chain guide and it magically has plenty of clearance now from the oil jet. I also replaced the tensioner since I was in there as well as the oil jet. It is all back together and running well. It is hard to believe after only 100000 miles, but it appears normal wear and tear pushed that chain into the oil jet.

Last edited by dleo85; 12-15-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 AM

I know this isa VERY old thread but.....

If you are still around here...

Can you describe the noise?

have a noise in my 2006 2.4 that one garage thinks is timing chain but i swear it comes more from the center of the engine, toward the back, rather than the timing chain side.....

Old 05-16-2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by shadango
I know this isa VERY old thread but.....

If you are still around here...

Can you describe the noise?

have a noise in my 2006 2.4 that one garage thinks is timing chain but i swear it comes more from the center of the engine, toward the back, rather than the timing chain side.....
i believe there is a tensioner that can wear out that can cause a rattle in that engine. what's your mileage? any oil leaks? check your fluids and get report back.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by clean h1 cruizer
i believe there is a tensioner that can wear out that can cause a rattle in that engine. what's your mileage? any oil leaks? check your fluids and get report back.
Yeah I have seen reference to that as well. Mileage is about 132k or so......religious oil changes.....no leaks.

But like I said, this noise only seems to happen at certain RPMS and is particularly noticeable on deceleration...like when you are cruising at 3k rpms on the highway and accelerate to 3500 or so....then decel......a metallic tinkling noise if that makes sense.....I have heard t-chains before and they are usually consistent rattles....and on this engine the t-chain os on the passenger side yet the noise seems to be emanating from the center or drivers side.....

Old 05-17-2015, 11:45 AM

i have an 07 sonata 3.3 with 57, 800 miles on it and i hear a light knock when i first start the car and then it goes away. a rattle would have to be chain related, hate to say it but these engines still aren't as reliable as say a nissan or bmw or vw. just not manufactured as well imo. i would put money on it being the tensioner or a guide because the chain usually doesn't get replaced like a belt. don't know what the mileage is that the 2.4's require that service, it all comes down to how often it's driven and how you drive it.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:04 PM

H1 Cruzer,

Since it was so long ago I can't recall the sound very well, but I believe it was more like a ticking or clicking sound. Replacing all of the timing chain components definitely took care of it. As for where the sound was coming from, I can't really remember.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:22 PM

Hi there,, when you replaced the chain did you replace or reset the tensioner?ive got the same issue with chain but mine has jumped and bent all 8 inlet valves,

Old 05-05-2020, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by shadango
Yeah I have seen reference to that as well. Mileage is about 132k or so......religious oil changes.....no leaks.

But like I said, this noise only seems to happen at certain RPMS and is particularly noticeable on deceleration...like when you are cruising at 3k rpms on the highway and accelerate to 3500 or so....then decel......a metallic tinkling noise if that makes sense.....I have heard t-chains before and they are usually consistent rattles....and on this engine the t-chain os on the passenger side yet the noise seems to be emanating from the center or drivers side.....
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but did you ever find the solution to this? I'm currently having the exact same issue.