Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Transmission 02 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Default Transmission 02 Sonata

My 2002 sonata hesitates between 2 and 3 and 3 and 4th gear. I have had 5 visits to the dealer. They had started with a burned out spark plug, coil and wiring. Then they changed the master air cyliner and other parts unknown. Finally they said they changed the transmission. Nothing has stopped the hesitation. The so called service manager said they drove the car 30 miles it is fixed. ( A lie) I went a half mile with the same problem. Why does service lie about the car being fixed. There are no codes yet the car hesitates and its a mess. I have only 29000 miles on the car. I am wondering if they really did not change the transmission. I am thinking about dumping the car and Hyundai.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Transmission 02 Sonata

Is this hesitation when the car is cold? My Azera shifts differently if I drive it cold, as compared to after it warms up a little. AFTER the car is up to operating temperature, you can hardly tell when it is shifting. Actually the engine and transmission are so smooth, I have tried to start the car when it was running [because I couldn't tell it was running] because there isn't any vibration and it's so quiet. I think you should trade that car in on the AZERA ... I test drove the Sonata, but it isn't the car the Azera is!

Check them out!

Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Default RE: Transmission 02 Sonata

The best thing to do is have a technician or the service manager go along with you on a test drive. Alot of times they drive the car but drive it different than you do.This way you can show them how you drive the car and they can see the problem . I ran into this alot over the years working at dealerships. We never know exactly how a customer drives his car. If you can't get it resolved at the dealer, call Hyundai customer service and they will get the DPSM involved