Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Vibration in wheels/tires and steering wheel. Balancing or Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Default Vibration in wheels/tires and steering wheel. Balancing or Suspension?

Hi all I recently had new rims and wintertires installed on my 2007 Hyundai Sonata 4Cyl from Walmart. When I left I noticed I had a vibration in the steeringwheel at around 50-70 km/h so I took it back the next day and got them rebalanced. After the rebalancing I asked the tech. if it was off and he did say they were just a little bit off. I took it out for a drive and the vibration is gone from 50-70km/h, now it is vibrating from 70-120km/h. I was about to take it back for another balancing, but as I was driving home today and had the car on cruise control and cruising at about 110-120km/h I noticed the vibration would go away sometimes to virtually nothing, then come back with very noticeable vibration. So now I am beginning to think it has nothing to do with the balancing of the wheels but maybe something in my suspension. I am getting some clunking sounds when I hit bumps and you can feel it through the drivers floor, pedals and steering wheel. I had friends tell me that it may be a tie rod end or strut mounts.

Has anyone experienced this before or know what the problem is? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.