Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Default alarm question

I have a 2003. Is it possible to simply open the door using the key and somehow shut off the alarm without using the FOB? Our situation is if I loose my keys I have a spare in my wallet but no FOB.
Suggestions?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Default RE: alarm question

Suggestions?
Why do you think Hyundai provided keys to the car? If you read the car's owner's manual page 1-4, it states:

"Alarm Stage
The alarm will be activated if any of the following
occur while the car is parked and the system
is armed.
1) A front door is opened without using the key
or the transmitter.
2) The tail gate is opened without using the
key.
3) The engine hood is opened.
"

Using the key is cool with the alarm system. If you have doubts, you can always test your wallet key while the car is sitting in your drive way.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the reply Ken but the alarm DOES go off when I open the driver's door with the key.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the reply Ken but the alarm DOES go off when I open the driver's door with the key.
Capricho - I owe you an apology. I just opened the owner's manual file I downloaded last night to review the discussion on the alarm system and discovered none of the verbeage I cited could be found in the book. I must have inadvertantly open the 2008 manual file to my car. The discussion I found in the correct manual states:

"Only the transmitter can disarm the armed stage. If the transmitter does not disarm the
system, it is necessary to take the following steps;

1. Unlock the door with the key, which will cause the alarm to be activated.
2. Insert the key in the ignition key cylinder and turn the ignition key to "ON" position.
3. Wait for 30 seconds.

After completing the steps above, the system will be disarmed.
"

It sounds like the alarm is operating as designed. I can only suggest you never loose the fobs.

Ken

Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the help. The car is used so I don't have a manual and the dealers here in my area are quite dumb.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:18 PM

The car is used so I don't have a manual
Hyundai makes all the service information available to U.S. owners at http://www.hmaservice.com/. This includes PDF versions of the manuals. You'll have to set up an account with password (it is free) and log onto the site. Once you are logged in, click on "Shop" and then click on the "OM" tab near the top. Pick your model and year and all pertinent manuals will be listed including any mid-year revisions. Oh yes, the site is designed to work with Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: ken99

Capricho - I owe you an apology. I just opened the owner's manual file I downloaded last night to review the discussion on the alarm system and discovered none of the verbeage I cited could be found in the book. I must have inadvertantly open the 2008 manual file to my car. The discussion I found in the correct manual states:

"Only the transmitter can disarm the armed stage. If the transmitter does not disarm the
system, it is necessary to take the following steps;

1. Unlock the door with the key, which will cause the alarm to be activated.
2. Insert the key in the ignition key cylinder and turn the ignition key to "ON" position.
3. Wait for 30 seconds.

After completing the steps above, the system will be disarmed.
"

It sounds like the alarm is operating as designed. I can only suggest you never loose the fobs.

Ken
I have the same issue and tried to follow the steps in the manual but this did not disarm the alarm. We replaced the battery in the FOB and that worked until the next day when the alarm started to go off again. My daughter brought it across the street to a mechanic who I think disabled the horn and removed a fuse. Currently the alarm does not go off but the horn does not work. Can the alarm be turned off completely or do I need a hyundai dealer to look at this?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

The procedure does work but step 3 is partially unclear. It's not "wait 30 seconds" it's actually "wait until the alarm horn stops". That may be more than just 30 seconds.