Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Check engine light is on

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Default Check engine light is on

I recently purchased a 2003 Used Hyundai Tiburon Gt, Automatic. I have had the car for about a month and the check engine light has been on since the day after I purchased the vehicle. I called the place I bought the car from and they said that it may be the gas cap. Well...it continued to remain on. I had noticed a couple time in the past couple weeks that when I accelerate after sitting at a red light, the car seem to be hesitating thus having to push on the gas pedal a little firmer. Last week, my gas light was on and each time I would start the car up, it hesitated almost like it was going to die. When I got to the gas station and put gas in it, I went to start the engine and the car died. I had to start the car 5 times before it would stay running. We unhooked the negative battery cable when we got home. The check engine light went off and the car started up just fine. That was last Thursday. Over the weekend, the check engine light came back on again. My gas light was on again so when I put gas in it, the car acted like it was going to stall again, but stayed running. Any ideas what this could be?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

OMG! If the check engine light is on then there is something wrong and the computer has a code (or codes) stored in it. Buy a code reader or go to an auto parts store that will read the codes for free and find out what the problem is. Why would you want to guess at the problem when the compute will tell you want the problem is?