Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Default Few questions

Hey guys, quick few questions. maybe someone has an idea or help me out. First off, I searched a bit on power windows. Didnt get much info on them, But anyhow.. my car passenger side window just crapped out. It was working on and off for a few weeks. When I hit the switch, it just makes a clicking noise! Could it possibly just be the switch? Funny thing is now, my driver side window did the same thing! What are the odds of both window motors going in 1 week? Think the switches could be bad? they just both make a clicking sound. No humming or nothing from the motors.

Also, last question..Call me crazy, but... an Oxygen sensor.. on our cars, are they tied into the radio antennas or window switches? I might be crazy, but I thought I read somewhere that there all tied in together. Maybe thats my problem?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Default RE: Few questions

What are the odds of both window motors going in 1 week?
Better than you think if the windows have rolled up and down an equal amount of time.

Think the switches could be bad? they just both make a clicking sound. No humming or nothing from the motors.
You didn't say what year your Tiburon was. Malfunctioning door regulators are a fairly common problem among late 90's/early 2000's Sonatas and Elantras. If your Tiburon is of similar vintage, I would be suspicious that the door regulators have gone bad. The motor on the regulator is connected to gearing with a "cable" that runs back and forth, which in turn, is what raises and lowers the window. When this gearing strips out, it can no longer work the cable. The clicking is usually the stripped gears grinding away.

an Oxygen sensor.. on our cars, are they tied into the radio antennas or window switches?
Only by atmospheric oxygen. There is no connection between the O2 sensor in the engine fuel management system and the antennas or the window switches.

Call me crazy
OK, you are crazy, but I wish you luck in resolving your door window problem.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:25 PM

haha thanks I think I am crazy. But yeah sorry, its an 03' Tib. I'm gonna try to troubleshoot to see if the switches are bad. Or like you said, you think its the motors itself. Thanks alot for your opinion.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM

I'm gonna try to troubleshoot to see if the switches are bad. Or like you said, you think its the motors itself. Thanks alot for your opinion.
No, I wouldn't ignore investigating the switches since you will need to dismantle the doors anyway. Actually, the motors themselves do not fail, but the regulator gearing that is attached. Most often you can still hear the motors turning, but the clicking usually masks that. Unfortunately, these are manufactured as one piece items so if you do have to replace the regulators, you'll get new motors too.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM

Would you happen to know a site that sells them cheaper than a dealership? Or recommend anyplace? I was hoping it was the switches, thats an easier fix anyways. I got my door panel off now, Weird.. I just hear clicking, no motor noise or nothing.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 PM

I simply Googled "tiburon window regulator" and came up with:

http://www.google.com/products?q=tiburon+door+regulator&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&ei=9u4XSL39HJb8pgT88ZSBCQ&redir_esc=www5 &um=1

There were many other hits. I've also purchased regulators from salvage yards, but it has been many, many years since I've done so. I seem to remember that I had to open up a lot of doors to find a good regulator.

I wonder if the motor has a relay on it that is triggered by the door switch. It the regulator is jambed or siezed, or the motor has gone bad, I bet your hearing the relay clicking not the switch itself.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM

yeah, i wonder. Ok thanks for the info ken.. Ill let you know what I come up with in the next few days. Thanks for the help...

real quick. I can figure out how to swap that parts.. only question is.. the Window Motor?.. now that is what operates the window regulator? right? The cables on the regulator seem to be in good condition.. I'm assuming I'll only need to change the motor than.. Does this make sense?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 PM

I'm assuming I'll only need to change the motor than.. Does this make sense?
Yes, I think I did see that you can replace just the motor and the gearing on this model year of the Tiburon. If you have confirmed that just the motors are bad, that's where I'd start.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyund...QQcmdZViewItem

heres an ebay auction forthe left side, they are very common on ebay and usually the best price around.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: stehlar24

Hey guys, quick few questions. maybe someone has an idea or help me out. First off, I searched a bit on power windows. Didnt get much info on them, But anyhow.. my car passenger side window just crapped out. It was working on and off for a few weeks. When I hit the switch, it just makes a clicking noise! Could it possibly just be the switch? Funny thing is now, my driver side window did the same thing! What are the odds of both window motors going in 1 week? Think the switches could be bad? they just both make a clicking sound. No humming or nothing from the motors.
Window lift motors are a common problem with 2003-up GK Tiburons. I highly doubt it's the switch.

ORIGINAL: stehlar24

Also, last question..Call me crazy, but... an Oxygen sensor.. on our cars, are they tied into the radio antennas or window switches? I might be crazy, but I thought I read somewhere that there all tied in together. Maybe thats my problem?

Thanks for the help guys.
No, the O2 sensors are not linked to the antenna.