Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

getting most out of my tibby

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Default getting most out of my tibby

hey guys,
i've been checking this place for a while now and there are a few of you out there that seem to know quite a bit about upgrading tibby's.
So here are my questions:
i'm trying to get the most out of my tibby without turbo charging it, basically cause i know if i turbo it, i'll have to get lower compression piston along with all the components and i dont' feel like dumping that kind of money into a car that only cost me $7K.

As of now, i have headers, 2 1/2 inch exhuast from the headers back, cai, 11lbs flywheel, and a short throw shifter.

my plans are: 1.8L intake cam, exhaust cam gear, eventually port and polish.

do any of you know of any other mods i can do that will help performance but to keep it n/a? thanks

Old 07-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: getting most out of my tibby

I think you've pretty much got it figured out. I know someone on another forum that has the 2.0 liter engine in an Elantra and got about 15 hp extra by doing what you're working on. (He had the dyno run to back it up.)

Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Default good exhaust for a tibby

hey all,
for those out there that know tibbys once again. i've been having exhaust sound problems. ever since i put headers on my tibby, the car hasn't sounded all that great. i've tried the typical "can" exhaust, wasn't that expensive, and sounded like crap. so i took it off and put on a higher flow OE style muffler, it sounds a little better, but still has that crappy sound. also, the "can" exhaust did sound good before the headers.

i just want to know some good mufflers out there that can handle high flow applications and sound good doing it. please help,,as much as i love doing exhaust, i'm tired of being under my car, lol.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Default RE: good exhaust for a tibby

As far as the sound change goes.. whenever you do something to change the way the exhaust flows, ex... when you change the headers, which increases the flow... by making the tubing bigger, it changes the tone of it... Giving you the sound difference. I have found that Magnaflow makes a good muffler, and sounds pretty kewl too... not that "fart" pipe sound... lol here is a link to jegs, they have a bunch of mufflers. I like these ones a lot. but, hey, thats just me Check them out if you like... http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...51044_-1_10265
I especially like the ones with the dual outlets... lol

Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Default exhuast problem figured out

finnally after a month of screwing around and trying several types of mufflers, i finnaly got it figured out. i just needed to fab up a resinator since i eliminated a cat. sounds good now, very mellow but agressive and deep toned at high rpms. thx to all that gave advice.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Default RE: exhuast problem figured out

The best 4 banger exhaust out there is an Apex'i N1.

As for a turbo, you don't have to rebuild your block if you use the right turbo at a proper psi.
A T25 at 4-6psi should be fine for your car. Would put you in the 200whp range.
The turbo, manifold, bov, fmic and piping, and all the other parts would probally run you about $1,300.
But the results would be worth it.