Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

my 06 V6 Tibby

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Default my 06 V6 Tibby

I LOVE my Tibby and I have been driving it for a year.. About four months ago it started doing this "jerking thing" while I was driving..The rpms also seemed to go up and down..it is like it would suddenly lose power and then BAM just go really FAST.. Scary.. Well..after a couple days it stopped and everything seemed just fine..NOW, the other day it started again..worse.. then the check engine light came on.. It drives like it 'choking' or spastic.. I have an appointment with the dealer, but ANYONE if you know the problem please let me know..:-( Oh, I have about 28,000 miles on it..Thank you so much in advance..Susan

Old 03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: my 06 V6 Tibby

I'm assuming you didn't get the codes read to know wht the CEL is on. Have you modified the car in any way? It could be something as simple as a bad throttle position sensor.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:37 PM

No, I don't know anything about the codes (duh) do I have them somewhere? No, I have done nothing to modify the car.. Thank you so much for your response..:-) I don't know what a bad throttle thing is.. simple? hmmm..

Old 03-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

The codes are stored in the computer and are read by a code scanner. If you don't own one (most non-mechanics wouldn't) you can always go to a local auto parts store that does free code reading. The codes will tell you why the CEL is on.

The throttle position sensor is located on the throttle body and tells the computer how far the throttle is open. If the computer thinks the throttle is closed when it's open, you will get that surging you described.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 PM

I have been doing some research on this..I really appreciate your help.. I guess the Auto Zone lets
you do this for free.. Is this TPS covered by warranty? I read on another blog someone also had their gas pedal replaced.. Thanks, Suzi

Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

If the car is still under warranty, yes, it will be covered.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:59 PM

Just wanted to say: "Thanks so much.." for all of your responses.. Being raised with 5 brothers has taught me a bit more than average about cars.. yet, there is so much that is different now..Thanks~
Suzi

Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck with getting it all sorted out. I know finding a good dealership makes all the difference. I've been fortunate to have a good one and they have been great for all warranty related repairs (not many) and the 30K scheduled maintenance.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 PM

Nova Resource~

I just wanted to tell you that my car is fixed~ It was.. as you said..the TPS..the shop guys were pretty surprised when I told THEM what is was..LOL ANYWAY..it was also covered under warranty and did not cost a cent. I am SOO glad.. THANK YOU..AGAIN;-))))))) Suzi

Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

That's great news. Glad to help. I would have loved to see the look on the service guys face when he realized you knew what the problem was. I'm sure most see a girl and think she knows nothing. LOL! Good luck with the Tibby.

Happy Motoring!

Quick Reply: my 06 V6 Tibby