Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Oil pouring out of 2 litre engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Default Oil pouring out of 2 litre engine

I have a 2 litre tiburon 2003 automatic. There is a major amount of oil pouring on the ground when I start it.
Looks to be comming from behind the bottom pully.The crank seal? I know the oil pump is in there too.
Has this happened to anyone else?
In one min it would loose a litre of oil or more.
Could it be the oil pump,or oil pump seals.
In the manual its not clear but looks like one seal in there but it says it twice so is there 2 seals on the crank?
The car is on the side of the road. I will go get it tomorow with a friends trailer.
This is the first car in my life that has left me there.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil pouring out of 2 litre engine

The front cover is where the oil pump is. Yes, it could be the pump, the seal or maybe the filter.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 AM

I have talked with the shop guy at the dealer and he said he has seen this before and that the coller on a main crankbearings let go and the crank walked forward and took out pump and seal. Engine is junk get a new one.
Even if I put new barrings and a oilpump in it it will be a ticking time bomb because of the shaveings and the lateral force that the rods had on them. And the fact it did run out of oil when the pump seal poped out wouldnt help. The 2 littermotor has 190000 km on it automatic trans.

I have had heater problems wires burned up and switch melted, window motor went, bcm went signle light stuck on, door locks keep locking them self I had to disconnect them. and radio display keeps going out and now the engine.
The car looks so cool I will have to keep it for now but it is pushing me.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM

It was exally that and the motor was trash. Little bits of steal from the inside pump case all through themotor.
The new used one is in and seems to be working fine. We will see how long this one lasts.
The replacement motor I got off ebay for 150 and 100 to ship it usd. 80k km on it.
Now I need a stearing pump. Its makeing noises it shouldnt be.