Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

STEPS - Flood

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Default STEPS - Flood

What are the steps that i must follow if my car gets flooded...

non electric damage so far....

It Wont Start.... ( air filter was wet)

Old 09-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Default RE: STEPS - Flood

Gee. Just having been there..... It depends one whether the motor was running when it flooded as mine was. If it was running and there is water in the filter it's probably not good news. Will the engine turn over at all? If not, you probably have water in the cylinder that the piston is trying to compress. It can't so the engine won't turn. This is called hydraulic lock-up. Take the spark plugs out and drain the cyliners. Rotate the crank and be aware of any resistance. With 180 hp pushing against water, something's probably going to give. Mine bent a con rod and the motor is a gonner.

If it turns over without the plugs, you might reinstall them and see if it starts. If you're extremely lucky, you can get by with new plugs, and changing all of your fluids.

If your car wasn't running when it flooded, the starter may not have exerted enough power to damage anything, but you may still be locked up. Same thing, drain the cylinders and see if it turns over without the plugs. reinstall them and see if you get the cylinders to light up.

Plan B. Call Hyundai roadside and have it towed to the dealer.....and have good insurance.

It always helps to commiserate. I was stupid and drove in deep water in Abilene, Texas. What happened to you?

Old 09-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Default RE: STEPS - Flood

The biggest concern here is was the car running or not?
By having a soaked air filter, i'm gonna guess it was... given its a factory intake. The design of the OEM intake can only get the filter wet if the engines running.
Pull the plugs and look at the tips.
Also, drain out the oil and look at it for signs of water.

Its always ****ty when water gets in a motor.
But theres a good chance it hydro locked, unfortunately.

It always helps to commiserate. I was stupid and drove in deep water in Abilene, Texas. What happened to you?
Off topic, but my girlfriends dad has some property in Abilene he farms on.