Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Supercharging my Tibi

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Default Supercharging my Tibi

Hi everybody:

I have a '98 Tiburon FX (2.0L) and I have enrolled to this forum because I want to take advantage of your knowledge. Don't scare, the only reason I had to joint this forum was to share with you a few time at the same time I learn.

My first question to all of you, my friends is about the "Turbonator" (www.turbonator.com). Does it really work? Is it a good choice to improve HP on my 98 tib.? Does it make other electrical or mechanical features enter in malfunction? If anybody has installed this stuff in your Hyundai, please tell me how it works.

Second, Can K&N air filters damage temp. or air sensors? I have read something about this in other thread, but I need to confirm.

I make you these questions because I want more peppy from the 2.0L Beta engine of my tibi without change a lot of factory equipment.

Thank You for your help and Excuse Me for my English.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:23 AM
Default RE: Supercharging my Tibi

Hey ya Vect........first..the Turbonator(hmmmmm) I'm not a big fan of the electric supercharger only because I havent really heard anyone on any of these Forums give it a a good go and get it reveiw, so my advice is to research that juz a lil bit more. Secondly....the Cold air intake is a great device when oiled properly and located down in the airdam....not the one that is right next to the MAF sensor, the reason is because it can easily cause damge to the sensor and be a costly repair .....and horse power does'nt come cheap .....so decide how much you're willing to spend to get better performance out of the tibby because ya can easily spend a couple of thousand on just an engine management system and a good exhaust upgrade and a good cold air intake system and a mild camshaft upgrade , not to mention the cost of going to a turbo set up or nitrous (wet or dry ) system . The deals are out there ........sometimes it just takes a lil home work to find them.....if ya go on ebay, only shop with those that have a very good feedback score . If ya have a question where to locate any performance parts for your car just ask and I,ll help ya as well as everyone here will as best we can

Old 04-13-2005, 03:30 PM

Thanks Wanabe for your reply. First, for the turbonator I will wait for reviews. Second, for the cold air intake, there is sometihing that I have not clear. You said: "The Cold air intake is a great device when oiled properly and located down in the airdam". Is this the same as to put oil in the air filter?[&:] I can't understand. Excuse me for my ignorance but I want to learn.

I'm interested in change only the original (Hyundai) air filter to K&N filter (using the same rectangular shape). Does it make the same efect as change the whole intake system (i.e. all hoses or tubes and the big black air filter box) for a vivid colorful tube with a lot of stickers?

I'll appreciate your opinion.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

while a K&N drop in filter is better than a regular filter, a full cold air intake system, which replaces that box is much better.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:11 AM

What he said

Old 04-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Administrator

wanabe, did you say that you have 290hp in your tibby??

Old 04-15-2005, 05:37 PM

hey I have a 2001 tib and i changed just the stock air filter with a k&n drop in filter. The sound change is very good and I have had no problems with anything else.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

drop in filters from K&N are excellent for those who do not wish to go through the hastle of installing a CAI...i have had them in several of my cars.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 PM

Thanks guys for your posts (Patrick, Scott & Wanabe). Now I trust in change the air filter . This is my first step to get a better performance of my tibby. Later I will change some other components by now I want to do it step by step (slowly). I don't want to change everything at the same time to see what happen with each change with respect to time. I'm still waiting for "turbonator" opinions...

Sorry for my English . I'll be back...

Old 04-16-2005, 10:57 PM

Patric .......that would be crank Hp.......not wheel.........dont I wish I could get 290 at the wheel....I'd be pickin on the Hemi'sIf I could ....but thats' gonna require a few more pennies (gold plated even )than I've got at this moment.

Quick Reply: Supercharging my Tibi