Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Angry Trans problems

I have a 01 Tiburon. When driving down the road and shifting into OD it acted like it was going into neutral. If you hit the OD button it was fine. I changed the oil/filter and found small parts of bearing in the pan.I ended up dropping down the engine/trans and removing the drivers side cover off the trans. The thrust bearing had failed causing the OD clutch to hit the case ruining it. I got a used OD clutch and a new thrust bearing and washers. I also replaced the Pluse Generator. It went back together really well. I didn't replace the oil/filter thinking I would run it a bit then change it.

When I test drove it, I can't get it to go into first gear either manually or but taking off hard. When putting it in rev, sometimes it goes in and sometimes it acts like it is in neutral. It hasn't even tried to go into OD. I even tried disconnecting the battery, reseting the computer but wishful thinking........

When I changed the trans oil Advance Auto told me to use Dexron III. It was still shifting fine after that though. The local auto parts store told me it takes SP-II. Would that make that much difference? Was gonna try changing the oil n see if that helps and even though the check engine light is not on checking for codes.

Any ideas on what I should do next?????

Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01 tiburon man
When I changed the trans oil Advance Auto told me to use Dexron III. ...
Any ideas on what I should do next?????
Your transmission REQUIRES SP-III fluid. Dexron will kill your transmission. What should you do next? Drain your transmission, refill with SP-III fluid and pray you didn't damage anything.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Talking Good news......

Changing the oil didn't make any difference. I ended up checking for codes and it came up with 722 and 732. Second Gear ratio incorrect and No response from the input speed sensor. I thought maybe the new pulse generator I had installed was bad. Ended up taking it to the business I got it from and I had installed it backwards, had to switch the two sensors. The wires were too short for them to be switched and the plug to be left where it was from factory. Now ALL seems great, shifting fine, going into reverse fine and OD is back and working great.......