Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Fuel tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Default Fuel tank capacity

I have a 2011 Gasoline Tucson GL.
Normally I refuel when the trip meter shows 300km and the tank then takes approximately 46 litres before cut off. In theory this means I have 9 litres fuel still in the tank but the yellow warning light does not come on and the Distance to ReFuel display shows on average 65km.

Yesterday I refuelled when the Yellow warning light came on[+2km to Petrol station] and I was surprised when the car accepted 60.681 litres of fuel. Since when the warning light comes on there should be approximately 10 litres of fuel still in the tank, this means that the tank had a total of 70 litres?

The specification for the car indicates a Fuel Tank capacity of 55 litres, so my question is this:
Does the 55 litre capacity include the 10 litre reserve or exclude?

Thoughts appreciated.
ps: I got the gasoline ststion to check the calibration of the pump with a 10 litre tank and it was spot on.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

What engine? Tucsons with the v6 have a larger tank than 4-cylinder models.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM

The engine is the 2.0L Theta, 4 cylinder model 165ps

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

My bad. I missed that you said it was a 2011. I was thinking the first gen Tucson.

Yes, the tank is 55 liters. This is no additional 10 liter reserve. If you got 60 liters in the tank than either the pump is off or you overfilled the tank by filling up the line from the cap to the tank. My guess is the pump is off. Maybe it was actually 50.681 litesr and the display was bad.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Many thanks.
The pump filled the tank until the automatic stop was triggered. When the reading went over 50litres I checked to see if any fuel was overflowing, but none.
I also got the gas station to check the calibration of the pump. They set the pump to 10 litres and filled a funnel tank with a glass calibration on the side. It was stop on which infers the pump clibration was correct.

I will wait until I hit 300km again and see how much fuel it takes.
Oh yes, after refilling with the 60 litres the distance to refuel reading was 392km.
Not sure about the pump display, the pay booth reading was also 60.681.
Maybe it was a one off glitch!
rgds

Last edited by nicholasorient; 03-19-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Default Fuel tank Capacity

Am having the car checked by HMM. Ever since the gas station put in 60+ litres and despite having done 200km at 13.7L per 100km, the fuel tank reading is still 100% full.
It will be interesting to note how much fuel is actually still in the tank.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 AM

I don't wish to start a new topic, but can anyone give me an estimate of the additional fuel that can be added from the automatic cutoff to the brim of the filler cap.

These guys are trying to tell me 20+ litres. Is that possible?

Need a speedy reply as gas station is insisting to drain fuel tank and then refill to check physical capacity in 19 hours time.

thanks

ps: will post result, may be a revalation.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Please don't do that. Adding fuel past the auto cutoff will cause liquid fuel to get into the evac system and charcoal canister. Those are designed for fuel vapor, not liquid fuel. Overfilling will damage the charcoal canister and evap system.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Default Fuel Tank Capacity

Can't agree more, but gas station is insisting the car accepted 60.681 litres of fuel and obviously they will try all within their means to prove it.
I am insisting they only fill to auto cut off, so I roughly need to know how much extra would be filled if up to the filler neck.

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Please don't do that. Adding fuel past the auto cutoff will cause liquid fuel to get into the evac system and charcoal canister. Those are designed for fuel vapor, not liquid fuel. Overfilling will damage the charcoal canister and evap system.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Default Fuel Tank capacity

To end this saga, I have now refuelled the car a couple of times immediately the yellow reserve light comes on and on each occassion the fuel loaded was 48 litres give or take .2 litres.
how I was able to fill with 60 litres on top of the reserve amount I will never fathom.
I am extremely jealous of the MPG statements I read on various Forums. The max I have ever achieved was 17.04MPG

Quick Reply: Fuel tank capacity