Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Rear SubFrame Recall ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Default Rear SubFrame Recall ?

I just purchased a 2006 Tucson in very good cosmetic condition. My daughter while driving had the rear trailing arm mount come apart and almost loose control of the car. Thank goodness no one was hurt. Is there a recall for this? I have seen so many topics about rusted subframes.

Last edited by John Nelson; 05-31-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Old 05-30-2017, 10:58 AM

So it looks like only a stop lamp switch? Someone could have been killed from the rotted rear subframe.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

The recall has to do with frame rust too. Read deeper in the thread.

However, when purchasing a used car (especially one that's 11 years old), the BUYER needs to inspect the car better. You really can't blame Hyundai for you buying a flawed vehicle. Maybe the car was in a flood and rotted out. Buyer beware.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
The recall has to do with frame rust too. Read deeper in the thread.

However, when purchasing a used car (especially one that's 11 years old), the BUYER needs to inspect the car better. You really can't blame Hyundai for you buying a flawed vehicle. Maybe the car was in a flood and rotted out. Buyer beware.
Being in the car business I did inspect the car and while there was some rust on the subframe it passed the hammer test with flying colors. To tell me buyer beware was a bit presumptuous if you asked me. All I was doing was looking for an answer to my question not a judgement as to my buying procedures thank you. FYI a phone call to Hyundai USA found a "backdoor" warranty to have the repair covered and is at the dealer now. I will update again once the vehicle is back in my possession.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by John Nelson
Being in the car business I did inspect the car and while there was some rust on the subframe it passed the hammer test with flying colors.
And yet the rear trailing arm mount come apart anyway, hmmm.... Maybe you need a better test next time.

To tell me buyer beware was a bit presumptuous if you asked me. All I was doing was looking for an answer to my question not a judgement as to my buying procedures thank you.
You sure have a lot of attitude for a newbie looking for help. We get all kinds of people here asking questions and since we can't read minds, we don't know if they know what they are doing or not. So we do have to make some presumptions.

FYI a phone call to Hyundai USA found a "backdoor" warranty to have the repair covered and is at the dealer now. I will update again once the vehicle is back in my possession.
And like I said in my first post, Hyundai is aware of rust problems and is covering them. Your welcome.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:26 PM

And yet the rear trailing arm mount come apart anyway, hmmm.... Maybe you need a better test next time.

You sure have a lot of attitude for a newbie looking for help. We get all kinds of people here asking questions and since we can't read minds, we don't know if they know what they are doing or not. So we do have to make some presumptions.

And like I said in my first post, Hyundai is aware of rust problems and is covering them. Your welcome.
Thank you for the help and information. Here is a picture of what broke. Guess like you said not matter what kind of test on the subframe the mounting point is weak

Attached Thumbnails Rear SubFrame Recall ?-20170530_131159.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

That's ugly. I don't think the mount is weak, just rust prone which eventually will weaken it.

Interesting because I had a 2006 Tucson (traded in 6 months ago) that spent its entire life in Pennsylvania with salt covered winter roads and mine never rusted out (110,000+ miles). However, mine was FWD only. Is hers AWD?

I believe that mount unbolts from the frame so replacing it shouldn't be too hard if you can find a solid one. Check online junkyards that source parts from dryer climate states.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 AM

That's ugly. I don't think the mount is weak, just rust prone which eventually will weaken it.

Interesting because I had a 2006 Tucson (traded in 6 months ago) that spent its entire life in Pennsylvania with salt covered winter roads and mine never rusted out (110,000+ miles). However, mine was FWD only. Is hers AWD?

I believe that mount unbolts from the frame so replacing it shouldn't be too hard if you can find a solid one. Check online junkyards that source parts from dryer climate states.
Yes it is AWD and picked it up from the local dealer last night. They replaced the entire rear sub-frame and and all 4 rear arms. Covered under warranty. Felling lucky and grateful. A new frame was $800 from the dealer and the arms would have been another $400 easy. So I'm guessing a $2000 warranty claim. Drives great again. We are in NY and the 2nd owner. The original owner also lived in NY with LOTS of salt

Old 06-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Best of luck with it from here on out. I loved my Tucson. Nothing was wrong with it other than being 11 years old and having 110k miles on it. It still ran and drove perfectly.

Quick Reply: Rear SubFrame Recall ?