Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Default Tire wear

I need some advice. Here is my story (I'll keep it short and sweet). I bought a 06 Tuscon, new, had all the services done at the dealership at the correct intervals. At about 10,000 miles i noticed the outside of my rear tires were bald. It dawned on me that the rear tires were actually the front tires that had gotten rotated at the last service and they were wearing cause of the allignment. The service center never mentioned it to me and when i went to them they told me that i would need a 4 wheel alignment and 4 tires. They also told me that there was nothing they could do cause i hit a pothole, which i never did. Has anyone else had this problem or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and pay out of pocket?

Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tire wear

If you've rotated your tires regularly (something like every 6,000 miles), check your owners manual for how to deal with the tires. The tires themselves are not covered under the Hyundai warranty, but are warranted by the tire company (I think). Either way, though, I think the dealer can replace them under warranty.

It sounds like your dealer is not cooperating though. Read the manual and make sure you did what you were supposed to do, but you may want to try a different dealer as well.

If you can get new tires out of them, great, but.... in my experience, the tires on new Hyundais are the weak link. Mine came with "Michelins" that, with a little investigation, I found were made by Hankook in Korea using Michelin molds but not Michelin construction or materials... nor did Hankook use their best stuff in them either (since they didn't carry their logo). For Elantra owners, I did pretty good; I got just over 30,000 miles on my OE tires. Most people have had enough of them long before that.

In your case, though, that is way too quick for a tire to wear out, even with a marginal alignment. It may be worth the money to get an alignment at an outside shop (I know my local Sears gives "before" and "after" readings when they do an alignment). If the outside shop says the alignment is good, the dealer should replace the tires. (Just make sure you get documentation.) If the alignment was way out, the dealer was right... even though you didn't realize it, the alignment was off. If you are sure you didn't hit anything, maybe it came that way, but that will be tough to prove. If you really think the car came that way, you may want to contact the Customer Relations people at Hyundai and see if they can help.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:58 PM

Thanks Doohickie. I've made an appt. with an outside shop for an alignment. I had all the service done by the dealership that I bought the Tuscon from, and at all the suggested times. I guess we will see what happens after the alignment. Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 PM

I have 2 rear tires at 50,000 that are bald also and it does not seem normal...I have had also 9 holes in the front passenger tires due to nails and screws and my husband has the same car but V6 and never a problem. I am going to try to call the tire manufacturer not normal.
Tobey[:'(]

Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

50,000 isn't bad. Are you rotating the tires?