Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Traded in the Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Default Traded in the Tucson

I got a recall notice of my ’09 Tucson, brake light switch, so I made an appointment and went to my local dealer (Where I bought the vehicle) in Enfield Ct.
While there I inquired about my upcoming 60K mile service, so that I would have an idea about how much it would cost.
The service clerk told me that the service was to have been done at 40K miles, not 60K. There is presently 55K on it.
I assured him that the service schedule in the book that came with the vehicle stated 60K.
He look in the computer and said “Oh, I see where the confusion is” (Service technician speak for “the customer is an idiot”), he said that I was under the impression that I was driving under NORMAL driving conditions, but that I was actually driving under SEVERE driving conditions. He explained that Hyundai considers southern New England to be SEVERE, and when I asked how that could be, he replied “The winters.”
He said that I had voided my warranty, but I shouldn’t worry as nothing would PROBABLY go wrong with the vehicle.
I was pissed. A few minutes he came and got me from the waiting area telling me that me vehicle was ready, “for now”.
I asked what he meant by “for now” and he said that he didn’t have the part for the recall, but he would call when it came in.
I said “Let me get this straight, you made the appointment with my, knowing what vehicle I had, which means you knew what part the vehicle needed, all by the VIN, and I get down here and you waste my time when you didn’t even have the part, and you insult me by telling me that I voided my warranty.
I told him I was done with him, that dealership and Hyundai. This was a bait and switch.
I was not informed when I bought the vehicle that I was to follow the SEVERE service schedule in the owner’s manual.

Now, I never had a problem with the Tucson, the quality is A-1, as far as I am concerned.
But the service department just pissed me off to no end.

I wrote to Hyundai of America Corp, and they replied that they were sorry for my experience, and that they would look into it, as they take customer service very seriously.

Talking with co-workers I discovered two people that claim to have experienced the same situation.

So people beware, check with your service dept to see what they consider vs. what the warranty states.
I had planned to keep the vehicle for at least the 100K miles.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by talisay
he said that I was under the impression that I was driving under NORMAL driving conditions, but that I was actually driving under SEVERE driving conditions. He explained that Hyundai considers southern New England to be SEVERE, and when I asked how that could be, he replied “The winters.”
That is actually correct. Check the owners manual.

He said that I had voided my warranty, but I shouldn’t worry as nothing would PROBABLY go wrong with the vehicle.
Not sure if that voided your warranty but if something goes wrong, they could say you did not maintain your vehicle was you were supposed to as stated in the owners manual.

I told him I was done with him, that dealership and Hyundai.
Why Hyundai? You said the car never gave you problems:
Now, I never had a problem with the Tucson, the quality is A-1, as far as I am concerned.
The dealership is privately owned. Don't blame Hyundai for that. Find a different dealer.

So people beware, check with your service dept to see what they consider vs. what the warranty states.
Again, it's clearly listed in the owners manual. Your driving IS considered SEVERE.

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-11-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Oh I didn't have a single defect with the car, infact I now drive a KIA.
Yes, I know they are the same company, and the quality should be the same.

I am done with Hyundai, but I won't bad mouth the product, just the way I was treated. If they are going to consider southern New England to be severe, then I feel it should be pointed out at the time of purchase, or have a suplamental insert, flyer, etc. go with the owners manual. Make sure the buyer knows what is expected of him/her. I was trying to keep the 10 yr. - 100K warranty in effect.

I have bought new GM, VW, Ford and Toyota in the past and when I went in for the scheduled service, none of them mentioned that to their company that southern New England was considered "severe".

I admit I did not read the owners manual cover-to-cover, but I read the reccomended scheduled maintenance section, and I don't recall seeing something other than the asteric telling the reader about the sever conditions. I am not saying it isn't there, but they certainly didn't make it clear, and I am sure it isn't clear to all New England buyers.

Thanks for the reply, and I am glad you are an aware owner.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

I admit I did not read the owners manual cover-to-cover
I am not saying it isn't there, but they certainly didn't make it clear, and I am sure it isn't clear to all New England buyers.
Not reading the manual is YOUR fault, not Hyundai's.

infact I now drive a KIA.
Yes, I know they are the same company, and the quality should be the same.
And the same warranty policy. Read the manual, KIA also consideres your driving SEVERE.

Attached Thumbnails Traded in the Tucson-2009-tucson-0-0.jpg   Traded in the Tucson-2009-tucson-5-6.jpg  

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-11-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 AM

Yup, consider me "schooled".