Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Winter vs All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Default Winter vs All Season Tires

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum, and I was hoping somebody could help me with a dilemma!

I recently purchased a used '05 Tucson that has 40,000 km on it.. it still has the original tires on it (which are not very good!). I'm debating whether I should put winter tires on it or just a really good set of all seasons (ie - top of the line Michelins).

I live in Toronto (Canada) and we do get a fair amount of snow over the winter, however our roads are cleared very quickly. We haven't had a lot of snow so far, but when I had to drive in deeper snow (~4 inches), the Tucson didn't handle very well and did get stuck.

Does anybody have any feedback on using good all seasons versus winter tires?

Thank you in advance!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Winter vs All Season Tires

The best all season tires can't come close to performing as well in snow as dedicated snow tires. But my question to you is, how often do youREALLY NEED dedicated snow tires?

It go with snow tires you will have to do 1 of 2 things:
-Swap tires on the factory rims every winter and then back in the spring. This will allow you to run the same rims with the same TPMS sensors.
- Buy a second set of rims for the snow tires so you can just unbolt wheels. However, you will need a second set of TPMS sensors. And because the TPMScan only be programmed to recognize 4 sensors at a time, you will have to go to the dealer every time you swap wheels to get the sensors reprogrammed in the TPMS.

If you drive in deep snow a lot in the winter, YES, get snow tires. It will make driving in the snow much easier and safer.

If you only drive in deep snow one or 2 days a year, it's not worth the extra cost and effort.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks novaresource. I appreciate the response.

I guess now what I'm looking for is if anyone has any experience driving a Tucson with good all seasons in the snow. I realize that snow tires will outperform all seasons, but to give you an example, I used to own a Honda Accord that was awful in the snow until I put new Michelin Harmony tires on it - then I had no problems whatsoever! My husband would drive that little car to work in the middle of a snow storm (as he used to do snow removal).

I was just wondering if anyone has noticed a significant performance difference of a Tucson in snow on good all seasons versus its original tires.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Dedicated snow tires will make a significant performance difference in the snow for all cars.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=135&

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-20-2011 at 07:23 AM.