New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Elantra 1.6L GLS slow crank no power to injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 06:12 AM

Okay , easy test i found was checking spark again with the crank unplugged... no spark if unplugged , but spark when plugged in.

So the new crank sensor is an original part from Hyundai... The new Cam sensor is not, was bought on ebay...

Now , as i understand , the crank sensor gives signal for spark and injection... the cam sensor fine tunes it... correct?

so might it be the cam sensor that is just not right for the car.
Because i have spark, fuel and compression now...

Checked the timing belt when i took the tappet cover off , its fine. was replaced with the chain not too long ago.

The car is backfiring from the intake... meaning air to fuel ratio is wrong... now im thinking it is the cam sensor as the manual suggests that if the car is cranking but not starting to check the Cam sensor and not the Crank sensor.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:33 AM

Usually, the cam sensor(CMP) starts the timing sequence for the injectors. If it is not functioning correctly,there is a good chance it is defective.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:37 AM

Howdy gents,,, im winning i think... okay retested everything now.

Got perfect spark , got fuel in the rail , got power on injectors plugs and they are pulsing... HERES THE GRUB!

Number 1 sparkplug gets fuel. can feel its wet but not dripping wet...
Number 2,3,4 are DRY! not a single drop of fuel and the smell of petrol is weak unlike number 1.

Parts Replaced and tested and works:
MAP sensor
CoilPack
Leads
Sparkplugs
Crank and Cam sensor
MFI sensor
Fuel filter
Fuel Pressure regulator

Any suggestions? as i see it , the damn Injectors decided to clog up all in one shot or they just got bad... i got everything else needed to start.

The car lost all power on the highway , didnt die until i came to a complete stop.
Before i got on the highway when i refueled i put in 95 octane unleaded instead of the usual 93 octane unleaded... could that have been the culprit to clog the injectors by loosening the gunk in that old fuel filter?

Or am i missing something entirely here, why would i have all the conditions for running but the injectors are not actually giving fuel?

Old 02-04-2021, 05:48 PM

Could you have purchased a load of water?

Old 02-04-2021, 07:24 PM

Test to see if the injectors are getting power and signal (ground) to fire injectors.
Test light clip to battery pos and probe to pin in injector connector from ECU
Watch for blinking.
Check fuel pressure at fuel rail.
If it got all this then injectors are probably clogged.
Not unusual since fuel filter was clogged???

Old 02-05-2021, 03:38 AM

There is power on the injectors, they are firing. we tested for pulsing and they do fire. also listened to them clicking away.

We will disassemble the fuel rail and test the injectors outside the engine and clean them , if they don't unclog it will be the most expensive replacement but i have hope they are just clogged.

There is fuel pressure in the fuel rail as when the car is cranked the fuel sprays out of the return like crazy. even when i put the ignition in the ON position the fuel runs threw the return perfectly when the injectors should prime.

There is pulse and power on the injectors , but only number 1 gives a little fuel and the other 3 don't at all.

will come back after we have taken it apart and cleaned and tested.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:33 AM

Hi guys , SOLVED!::::!

I have a camshaft that snapped off. that's why sparkplug number 1 had fuel and the rest not. The head is damaged due to it, so its calling for a new complete head and will service the rings and bearings too , clean oil pump and all that stuff.

Thanks for all the help , looks like I've replaced more than half my car's electronics for nothing.

Came to find the camshaft snapped off due to checking if my timing belt and stuff was correct.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:37 AM

Thanks for coming back and sharing your findings
That is rough. Sorry we weren't more helpful.
Hope you get back on the road soon.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the update.
I'm a little puzzled regarding all this, could you tell us just where the camshaft separated, thanks?

Old 02-09-2021, 11:23 AM

I didn't hear any noise when it broke when I got stuck with the car... So it must of been breaking slowly for a while actually.

Quick Reply: 1996 Elantra 1.6L GLS slow crank no power to injectors