New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Angry 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 power steering leak

I am having a power steering problem in my 2005 Santa Fe 3.5. It has been in a repair shop now for 9 days at a cost of over 1300.00 and it still isn't working correctly. 2 new punps, replaced rack and pinion twice, replaced reservoir, both hoses, added after market cooler and new belt oh and a new pully. What else could be causing the problem ? It has no power steering and there is a very loud screeching noise. I took it in for a "leak" I would put power steering fluid in and it would leak out immediately. There has to be something the mechanic is either missing or not doing correctly ?? please help !!!!

Old 08-17-2019, 10:55 AM

Were you able to determine where the fluid was leaking from?

Depending on where the replacement parts are purchased can maybe help explain why so many replacements might have been necessary.

It seems it all started with a fluid leak then progressed to a "Money pit" .
Sometimes it is the parts and sometimes it is the mechanic, the problem is to determine which one or maybe both.

It is difficult to offer any useful suggestions since we don't know the entire history and cannot see just what is happening.

We try not to switch horses in midstream, but sometimes we have no other choice especially when $$$ starts running low.

Have you considered getting other opinions than from this forum?

Old 08-17-2019, 05:33 PM
Question 2005 Santa Fe with power steering leak and NO power steering

It was hard to tell exactly where the leak was as the whole area was, and is, saturated with the power steering fluid. At first I thought it was the return hose that was leaking as I saw a drip from underneath of it, but, with further examination the whole reservoir was wet, the top and all down the sides. When the mechanic finally took the reservoir off the screen in the botton had a tear on one side and a hole on the other, and there was a crack where the return hose connects to the reservoir , but he said that would not cause the problem of no power steering ? I love this vehicle but am so upset over this problem. Since everything has been replaced I can't figure out what's going on ??? My son suggested I get on this web site to see if anyone has any suggestions as to the problem.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:38 AM

Have you had a chance to inquire as to where the replacement parts are being purchased?

There are so many "new" parts out there that are NO GOOD ! They are not manufactured here and are poor quality and we learn the hard way to try to stay with OEM parts.

You might pay a little more for OEM (Dealer) parts, but they certainly don't want comebacks.

The big problem these days is , the parts place will cover exchanging the defective/questionable part, but who has to pay for the extra work of doing the job over again?