New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Santa Fe - starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Default 2006 Santa Fe - starting problems

Hi all
I bought a used Santa Fe a few months ago - first problem - out in the boonies - vehicle won't start - the silver collar that sits on the gear shift had dropped out of position - boosted vehicle this time and got it to run - a trip to the dealer and the collar was fixed into the correct position- they tell me that the dropped collar was preventing the vehicle from going completely into park and as such was draining the battery. All was good for a few weeks.
This week - late for work - go out in the morning and the vehicle won't start. Fooled around - trying to boost it with my power pack - no luck - get my daughter out to boost it with her vehicle - I get it into reverse and then park - and try the key - it starts. Didn't need to boost it.
The same scenario repeated later in the week - get it into reverse and then park and it will start - sometimes not always.
At times the steering wheel is locked - turning the key and wheel at the same time unlocks it
Most times lights and radio - just won't start
Yesterday - daughter can't get it to start - I come home - try the steering wheel and key turn - nope -that's not it.
Put on the emerg brake - shift into neutral, then park - nothing - try again, the key seems to turn a little further this time and it starts

I've printed the info about the crankshaft position sensor and am heading to the dealership tomorrow to set up an appt to have the situation assessed - I'm disappointed - bought a newer vehicle hoping for dependability - and don't have it.
Any ideas ? anyone?
Thanks
Sherry

Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM

You need to clarify specifically your no starts...

A - I put key in ignition, turned key and engine did not crank...

B - I put key in ignition, turned key, it would crank, but not fire...

C - I put key in ignition, turned key, no dash lights illuminated...

D - I put key in ignition, turned key, and there was a cyclic clicking noise like that heard in an old black & white war movie for machine gun sounds..

2006 Santa Fe... which engine please ?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 AM
Default reply - santa fe won't start

Hi
Can't tell you which engine
I turned the key - didn't crank - just lights and engine - it will do this and sometimes the key locks and won't turn
will post what the engine is tonight when I get home from work
thanks
Sherry

Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Default 2006 Santa Fe - not starting - update

Hi all
The vehicle started fine this morning - tonight after work - turned key - had lights - windows radio - but wouldn't start - boosted and went to the dealer - they adjusted the linkage - and now we wait to see if the problem is fixed or not - all involved feel that it wasn't completely going in to park and was causing some drain on the battery - thanks for the assistance
Sherry