New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Sonata power locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 AM
Default 2006 Sonata power locks

Hi. I am a new member and am trying to sort out some problems on my daughter's car.

The power lock button on the drivers door will only open and close the lock on the rear passenger door.

I have checked the fuse behind the removable side panel in the drivers side dash, and I can hear relays clicking.

The key fob doesn't work at all- may need batteries.

Any ideas on what is wrong with the locks are appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 01-27-2019, 12:46 PM

There are some bits of info that we don't know at this time.
If for instance, moisture got into the door panels and froze, that could prevent the locks from operating.
Unless you are prepared to do some checks with a test lite or voltmeter there is not too much you can do except maybe look at the switch on the driver's door for a possible problem. Poor electrical connections play a big role in producing problems and components are not always to blame.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There are some bits of info that we don't know at this time.
If for instance, moisture got into the door panels and froze, that could prevent the locks from operating.
Unless you are prepared to do some checks with a test lite or voltmeter there is not too much you can do except maybe look at the switch on the driver's door for a possible problem. Poor electrical connections play a big role in producing problems and components are not always to blame.
Thanks for the input. It doesn’t freeze here, so it’s not that but could still be moisture?
could one or both of the relays for the locks be the problem?
it is odd that only the back passenger door lock is the only one working.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 PM

It is not unusual that the contacts in the power lock switch get dirty or corroded. Sometimes it is possible to clean the contacts by taking the switch out of the door and spraying contact cleaner inside while moving the switches about. It is even possible to take the switch apart for cleaning.