New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ACCENT IDLE CURSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Question The ACCENT IDLE CURSE

I've had an 97' Accent from under 10K to 80K miles, and it has ALWAYS had the rough idle and erratic pull away. I've read almost a hundred posts across the internet with the same problem, but it seems that no one is admitting that it is a common fault with the Accent.

The problem goes like this. Start the engine. Runs just fine. Put it into reverse or drive, and it starts to stutter and stumble as it if is either having a fuel cutoff or a dropping a spark. Put it back into park or neutral and it will almost certianly settle back to a smooth idle.

Put it back in reverse or drive and it will go back into the stumble and struggle to go. Once it gets past this problem it will accelerate and run just fine. Stop at lights, etc and it will probably fall back into the stumbling again. It doesn't seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold. Deep freezing dry winter or hot sticky summer makes not difference.

I've seem all sorts of "mechanics" suggesting everything from change plugs, leads, sensors, to full blown stripdown and rebuilds.. In reality, I think that it is more likely a control board problem. Maybe the programme is badly written. I've seen people advertising at a repalcement control board wil solve the problem, but I've not seen anyone come back and say that a new board solved the problem, and spending $500+ on a new board is a pricey way to find a possible solution.

I doubt that it has anything to do with fuel, injection, sparks, fuel pressure as it will behave just fine with idling in park, and usually in neutral too. If they were issues then I'd expect it to do the rough idle any time it settle back to the idle revs.

Is there anyone out there who has actually had this problem solved? I'm not interested in theory experts. Someone must have actually cured this problem as there are lots of Accents with this problem.

If you have the solution, and not just a theory I'd love to
hear from you., and I bet I'm not alone on this!
Thanks
Kev